mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
I
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I
Hello.
Firstly, I don't use mIRC (haven't in years). I use another program, nonetheless I'm here trying to help a friend.

Basically she's trying to change the way her Full Name/Email shows up in a whois (she put in the wrong information by mistake some time ago). She first tried disconnecting and filling in the info. The boxes aren't greyed so everything changes fine. She reconnects and her new whois info appears. Great.

But when she closes mIRC completely and reopens it, it shows the old information prior to the change. No matter how often she attempts this it reverts back to the undesirable information.

We tried issuing /fullname and /emailaddr commands, but upon restarts the old information remains. (The old info includes gender sensitive information and we just want to get rid of it due to creeps.)

I tried to duplicate this by opening my own old mirc script but the information changes for me every time and stays after a reboot of the program. Hopefully there's a setting she has checked by mistake and it's something extremely simple.

Side information: She has a legitmately registered/paid for copy of mIRC. I thought maybe that was why her info resets to the defaults? Probably not.

Hope I gave enough facts. Thanks for reading/replying.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Does she use more than one mirc? I believe the way its set up by default where there is one central file that all mirc's access means that you can only have one settings file. Which means if she has 2 mirc's running and make changes in one, close that one while the other is still running, when the it is closed it will save the settings of that mirc. Another possibility is that she doesn't have privileges to the folder the mirc.ini is in, so when mirc goes to write to the file it is blocked by windows.

Putting the mirc.ini file in the same folder as the mirc.exe file may fix it.

I
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
I
Ok, she's not around for me to ask her to do these things but I'll check on it. My question is, if everything else sticks around after a reboot - the servers she autoconnects to, the people on her notify etc.. then why does that one part revert back? I would think that she'd have to redo *everything* again if the permissions are wrong.

But anyway, good ideas. I'll see what happens.

Link Copied to Clipboard