mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
DavidN Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
D
I have a strange problem. I've been using mIRC for years. Had it on several different computers. Downloaded it to a new computer in late October or early November, and it worked fine for a bit (if I remember right) but then it started acting funny. Pardon my lingo, I'm in no way a computer expert, though I get pretty good at getting applications to do things I want them to, within the parameters of the program.

Anyway, to describe the problem. Normally, when you open mIRC, it logs on and you get all the way to the small dialog box which asks about channels. I always close that, and go right to the list channels box, open it, and I'm good to go. I have my /perform set to log myself in with a password and join me to various channels, and everything's good.

Recently, it doesn't work like that. First, when you log on the list of msgs showing everything that's occurred since you logged on (the commands that have been activated, etc.) is truncated. It just stops after 15-20 lines, and nothing happens. I found, by fiddling with the various buttons, that I can log on if I hit the *List Channels* button. The rest of the commands load and the program is now open. However, I can't list channels (if you hit the button, the computer chimes and nothing happens) and my notify list is inoperative. You can access the notify list, but it doesn't notice if any users on the list are online.

I have tried fiddling with it in as many different ways as I know how. I reinstalled it, installed a previous version (and dumped my notify list in the bargain), talked with people who knew how the program worked (or thought they did), and even tried to let Microsoft's troubleshooter take a shot at it. That seemed to think this had something to do with MS Agent being missing, but since I never used Agent's capabilities with mIRC (unless it does something I don't know about) that seemed unlikely as the culprit. Anyway, the troubleshooter's solution didn't seem to work. So, has anyone else had a problem similar to this, and are there any known solutions.

Oh yes, my computer is Windows 7.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Type the following in mIRC and report the results:

//echo -a $os $version $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
D
DavidN Offline OP
OP Offline
D
This is the response:

Vista 6.35 2f63a83968f9586fe4fb48134253619c 1 0 0

I cut and pasted both directions (too much typing, and c & P avoids mistakes).

David

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
6.35 is not entirely compatible with windows 7. Upgrade your client to the latest release of mIRC, and things will likely work better.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
D
DavidN Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I had version 7 installed before, and it was doing the same thing. I will nevertheless reinstall it, and see if that corrects the problem. If it doesn't I'll report that back here.

D
DavidN Offline OP
OP Offline
D
And I just reinstalled 7.15, and it does the exact same thing. I'll now try rebooting, see if that has any affect.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Try connecting to a different network and see if it works there. For example, if you're trying to connect to Efnet now, try connecting to Undernet instead. If you can connect fine on another network, then it may be something on the network's end causing you problems.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
D
DavidN Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I tried this, logged onto another network as you said, and it acted identically.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Rerun the command in mIRC 7 and report results:

//echo -a $os $version $md5($mircexe,2) $file($mircexe).sig $script(0) $dll(0) $com(0)

Also, how are you connecting to IRC? through a bnc?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
D
DavidN Offline OP
OP Offline
D
The response was:

7 7.15 06c7efde71fd9bec2d5e08e2e37a466f ok 1 0 0

I have no idea what a bnc is. If you're asking how I connect to the internet it's through a cable modem, which has been fine for several years, running mIRC.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Actually I'm asking what IRC server you're connecting to

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
D
DavidN Offline OP
OP Offline