mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
Talon Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
I run debian linux and wine version 1.2, I've been playing around with mirc under wine and noticed if you use the icon of a window to bring up a menu and chose "Font..." nothing happens. You can't change fonts.

Also copying text is virtually impossible, I've attempted to copy text from a window and it darn near locked up my machine for quite some time.

$file().sig seems to always return ok rather than fail in instances where it should return fail.

These are just three complications I've noticed, I figured with some posts about wine fixes and what not maybe these are worth relaying but somehow I fear its going to be a wine related issue rather than a mIRC issue. I'll continue to post more complications I find as I stumble upon them.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Have you tried using /font to change the font instead? Like /font courier? Not a solution, but it might be a fair workaround until it gets resolved. I wasn't able to reproduce this on my wine, but it's not 1.2.

As for $file().sig, what instances should it fail? How many "instances" are there?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
T
Talon Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
read your pm argv[0], the best example i got is one I wouldn't want to make public as to the nature of what it does.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Then I imagine that Wine just doesn't implement $file().sig properly. This is something you should take up with Wine implementors. AFAIK, $file().sig uses Windows file signatures, which is a relatively new addition, so mIRC might just be bypassing it anyway.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Testing under Ubuntu with Wine v1.2, I was not able to reproduce the Font dialog issue or the text copying issue. The font dialog works correctly when I select Font from the System menu by clicking the top left corner button in a window. The text copying is smooth and fast as well. As for the $file().sig issue, it looks like this is due to Wine not implementing support for the Windows file signature API and returning success for any call to the API.

T
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
T
Khaled beat me to it... (same answers as him)

Can I also recommend you take a look at the WineHQ entry for mIRC? It may assist you as obviously your installation is somewhat different than hours.

Specifically check the Winetricks additions.
JD

[02:16] * Titanic has quit IRC (Excess Flood)
T
Talon Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
T
I've updated my installed packages with ubuntu's update manager and got an updated wine 1.2, which now I can get the font dialog.

As for the copy problem, it still exists, I pretty much lock up my PC if I attempt to copy any text from the static control.

What version of ubuntu? running gnome or kde? are you using compiz? I haven't tested disabling compiz to see if that fixes copying text in mirc, but i will post back when i test it out.

Im running ubuntu 10.05 (update manager says im up-to-date) running gnome 2.30.2 and I have compiz running.

Link Copied to Clipboard