mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Darby Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
D
Is there a DEP-compatible version, or some way to get arround it? Ever since I downloaded 7.14 DEP will not allow Mirc to open. It ran fine for me before.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As far I am aware, mIRC is DEP compatible. What error message are you seeing? When does it happen exactly?

D
Darby Offline OP
OP Offline
D
This happen as soon as I try to open mIRC

Again, this just started happening yesterday soon as I upgraded.
First I get a pop-up from Windows says; mIRC has stopped working. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. Then another pop-up says mIRC was closed to help protect your computer, Data Execution Prevention has closed mirc. Clicck here to learn more... So I click;

What is Data Execution Prevention?

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that can help prevent damage to your computer from viruses and other security threats. Harmful programs can try to attack Windows by attempting to run (also known as execute) code from system memory locations reserved for Windows and other authorized programs. These types of attacks can harm your programs and files.

DEP can help protect your computer by monitoring your programs to make sure that they use system memory safely. If DEP notices a program on your computer using memory incorrectly, it closes the program and notifies you.

See also
Data Execution Prevention: frequently asked questions
Change Data Execution Prevention settings

Windows will not allow mIRC to run without DEP.

Last edited by Darby; 19/10/10 09:41 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The most likely cause is that you are using older scripts or addons, and perhaps DLLs, that are not compatible with the new version of mIRC. If you install a new copy of mIRC into a new, empty folder (make sure to select "Portable Mode" in the installer and install into a documents folder such as "My Documents") and then run that copy of mIRC, do you still see the same issue?

D
Darby Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Still the same. I made a new file in my docs checked portable, and no difference.

D
Darby Offline OP
OP Offline
D
The file name, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have not been able to reproduce this issue here so far. I tested mIRC under Windows XP SP3 with DEP enabled for all programs and under Windows 7 which shows mIRC is running under DEP. Please try the following:

1. Install mIRC to a clean, empty folder in your my documents folder.
2. Open that folder and right-click on the mirc.exe file.
3. Select "Create Shortcut".
4. Right-click on the newly created shortcut.
5. Select "Properties".
6. In the "Target" location, where you see "Some\Path\mirc.exe" change that to "Some\Path\mirc.exe -rtest"
7. Click OK.

Now double-click the shortcut icon and it will run mIRC and use the "test" folder for all settings. This should ensure that no other settings on your system are used. Does that work?

D
Darby Offline OP
OP Offline
D
darn. still the same. btw, I have vista basic SP2.

D
Darby Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Also, I recently upgraded to IE9 beta, didn't like it, so I uninstalled it and switched back to IE8. If that might make a difference.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Did the problem specifically start when you uninstalled IE9?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
D
Darby Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well, I had not used mIRC for about a month, though it worked fine before. And I haven't touched mIRCs settings since my origional download. It has been about 2 weeks ago when I uped to IE9, but uninstalled it within 24 hrs and reinstalled IE8. I immediately posted here when I uped to mIRC 7.14 and this prob started. So I didn't use mIRC since the IE swap.

Last edited by Darby; 21/10/10 01:00 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The only other cause I can think of is anti-virus/firewall software - sometimes when they update their signature files they may start detecting valid files as trojans/viruses (this is called a false-positive detection). Perhaps your anti-virus/firewall software is forcefully closing mIRC when it runs because it thinks it is a trojan/virus, which results in this issue.

You can try closing down your anti-virus/firewall software (although note that sometimes they still partially run in the background even if you close them down) and then running mIRC.

You can also try explicitly adding mirc.exe to your anti-virus/firewall exceptions list.

D
Darby Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well, I have turned the DEP off and tried, but that didn't work. So, then I went to Norton online help. The remote tech uninstalled my anti-virus and I tried mIRC without anti-virus, still didn't work. this really sucks

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you set DEP to "All programs and services except those I select" and then add mIRC to the exception list, does that work? If not, try the other DEP option "Essential Windows programs and services only" and see how that works.

Also make absolutely sure you're using a legitimate copy of mIRC and that you don't have any scripts or DLLs loaded (you can delete mirc.ini and it will create a clean copy without any scripts/DLLs loaded). I've never seen DEP appear and I use default settings on it, so it's either something else that's installed that is causing the problem, or a bad copy of mIRC, or some kind of bad script or DLL.

Try closing every program on your computer before running mIRC - basically everything in your computer's tray besides sound and network icons and perhaps a couple other icons that cannot be closed. If you know what you're doing, you can also go through your task manager and close anything running there that isn't an important Windows process.

You might also want to try running something like Spybot Search & Destroy (a good trojan scanner) and Hijackthis (a browser hijacker scanner) to make sure you aren't infected by something your antivirus can't detect. Norton misses a lot, so running extra software now and then to catch what it misses isn't a bad habit to get into anyhow. If you use Hijackthis, I'd recommend pasting the log here or some other location before doing and "fixes" on what is found so someone who knows what is legitimate and what is not can help you. You don't want to just "fix" everything that is found with that.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard