Print Thread
M
MickoZ Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
M
Using mIRC 7.1.

IRC Server may constraint message's length, but mIRC client doesn't seems aware of it.

This is maybe not a mIRC bug, but maybe a server specific behavior. I was testing some text catching script and while testing, I found out my text was either spread on multiple line or that it was truncated.

This was done on EFNet, #test100

First case:

If I send a text message to the channel:
This is a test#1. This is a test#2. This is a test#3. This is a test#4. This is a test#5. This is a test#6. This is a test#7. This is a test#8. This is a test#9. This is a test#10. This is a test#11. This is a test#12. This is a test#13. This is a test#14. This is a test#15. This is a test#16. This is a test#17. This is a test#18. This is a test#19. This is a test#20. This is a test#21. This is a test#22. This is a test#23. This is a test#24. This is a test#25.

On the other side I see this:
[09:11] <ZokciM> This is a test#1. This is a test#2. This is a test#3. This is a test#4. This is a test#5. This is a test#6. This is a test#7. This is a test#8. This is a test#9. This is a test#10. This is a test#11. This is a test#12. This is a test#13. This is a test#14. This is a test#15. This is a test#16. This is a test#17. This is a test#18. This is a test#19. This is a test#20. This is a test#21. This
[09:11] <ZokciM> is a test#22. This is a test#23. This is a test#24. This is a test#25.

We can see that the message was spread in two message. Me the sender, I don't know that this happened. Might be nice to see it exactly the same as the other side see... but chance are it is a server behavior and there is no way to tell?

I tried the exact same test with a channel notice:
/notice #test100 This is a test#1. This is a test#2. This is a test#3. This is a test#4. This is a test#5. This is a test#6. This is a test#7. This is a test#8. This is a test#9. This is a test#10. This is a test#11. This is a test#12. This is a test#13. This is a test#14. This is a test#15. This is a test#16. This is a test#17. This is a test#18. This is a test#19. This is a test#20. This is a test#21. This is a test#22. This is a test#23. This is a test#24. This is a test#25.

On the other side I see this:
[09:13] -ZokciM:#test100- This is a test#1. This is a test#2. This is a test#3. This is a test#4. This is a test#5. This is a test#6. This is a test#7. This is a test#8. This is a test#9. This is a test#10. This is a test#11. This is a test#12. This is a test#13. This is a test#14. This is a test#15. This is a test#16. This is a test#17. This is a test#18. This is a test#19. This is a test#20. This is a test#21. This is a test#22. This is a test#23. This is a test#24

You can notice that the message was truncated at "[...] This is a test#24" and therefore is missing the ". This is a test#25." part. This is more problematic than the first case as the other side miss some part of the message.

If it is server specific behavior, then is there a way for mIRC to find out max message length, max notice length, etc.

Well that's.

Last edited by MickoZ; 29/09/10 04:54 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That looks okay to me - mIRC v7.x added a new feature that splits long channel/query messages and can be found in the mIRC Options/Messages dialog. This feature affects only PRIVMSG messages and no other server messages. If you are trying to send a server message that is too long for the server, the server will chop the message. You will need to make sure that your message fits the maximum allowed message length for that particular server.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: MickoZ
If it is server specific behavior, then is there a way for mIRC to find out max message length, max notice length, etc.

Some servers provide this information and some do not, so there's not good way for mIRC to obtain this information. In general, if you keep your messages under about 400 characters, the majority of servers will display the entire message even if your nick and channel names are long. As Khaled mentioned, 7.1 automatically splits longer channel and query messages so they are less likely to be cut off without the sender knowing. Notices and other things like CTCPs are not split, probably because they often need a specific format when used as commands in scripts and splitting the line may cause problems. Normal messages aren't usually used for commands other than short triggers that aren't going to be long enough to require splitting.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
The only downside of mIRC's built-in split feature is that it doesn't come with tags, which makes it kind of hard to use a merge script to merge them back together frown

To the original poster: If you want to know where your messages are split off, there are plenty of custom split scripts out there that do show the split to yourself as well. Be sure to disable mIRC's built-in split feature if you use a custom script, or your message might split twice.

Learning something new every day.

Link Copied to Clipboard