mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
firefox Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
F
Not really a mirc specific server but on networks which don't have chanserv how do you 'own' a room - I have seen people put a few bots in there with @ in the hope if the server netsplits etc. some will stay in and retain @

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
All you can do is keep someone or a bot as an op at all times. The more ops you have, the better chance of not losing "ownership" of the channel. If it's a good group of people in the channel, sometimes you can get people to move to a temp channel so you can regain ops if you lose it... but not always. Eggdrop bots have a better chance of not being disconnected, so they will give you more chance of keeping the channel. Or, just get a group of 5-10 ops who you trust and who are on 24/7 and you shouldn't lose ops that way either.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
Eggdrop bots have a better chance of not being disconnected, so they will give you more chance of keeping the channel.

I dissagree. Eggdrop bots don't give you a better chance, a stable connection does. An eggdrop on an instable connection is just as unreliable as any other bot on an instable connection.

http://zowb.net

/server -m irc.p2p-network.net -j #zomgwtfbbq
(ssl on port 6697 and 7000)
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I think he was making an implication about the typical infrastructure you'd expect to have surrounding an Eggdrop versus a client-side mIRC install on a desktop PC.

A desktop runs at home, where the machine could be shut down, where other things happen on the same machine, where the internet connection is only *fairly* stable and where electricity might cut out.

An eggdrop *typically* runs on a shell which is *typically* located in a server farm inside a data center somewhere. In a place like that, the machine is likely not to be used for anything else, has redundant connections and power and will never be accidentally shutdown by anyone or anything.

In that sense, an eggdrop-- or frankly, a shell account with any IRC bot, is more stable than running mIRC at home. And of course, an eggdrop running on your home desktop PC is going to be no more reliable than just running mIRC.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Originally Posted By: argv0
And of course, an eggdrop running on your home desktop PC is going to be no more reliable than just running mIRC.

Which is exactly my point. IMHO it's better to suggest running a bot on a shell. But that's just me ;_)

http://zowb.net

/server -m irc.p2p-network.net -j #zomgwtfbbq
(ssl on port 6697 and 7000)
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, I was more referring to where an eggdrop is usually run from (a shell) more than just that it's an eggdrop.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Most people understand that when you say eggdrop, you're also talking about the infrastructure that goes with it. Just like when someone says "web server", they don't mean self-hosting apache on your home DSL connection.

No need to be pedantic.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard