mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
C
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
C
Having been using mIRC 6.35 for only a month, I guess I an mIRC newbie and IRC in generally.Finally unicode is supported by mIRC 7 and I'd love to upgrade to that. On the other hand, I am pretty much conservative about software upgrades. And mIRC is major version upgrade. Will I be better off clean-installing for the best stability possible? If not, will all mIRC 6.35 settings remain intact? What do I have to particular attention to?

Thanks for any upgrade tips!

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
No clean install is needed. Tick the backup settings option in the installer if you're worried, then if anything does happen to go wrong you'll have a backup smile

L
Babel fish
Babel fish
L
I did an upgrade from 6.35 to 7.1 and it worked fine. To top it off, I've also upgraded from Win XP Home to Win 7 Ultimate 64bit edition. So far, everything has been running smoothly for the new version of mIRC and the new OS installation.

The only small problem I had, which WASN'T related to mIRC (that I'm aware of) was I had to change the permissions for the mIRC subdirectory from 'read-only' to full permissions to allow mIRC to write to the files in that directory. Once I resolved that issue, it's been great.

Version 7.1 is a great release like most of the mIRC releases in my opinion.

Lloyd
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Quote:
The only small problem I had, which WASN'T related to mIRC (that I'm aware of) was I had to change the permissions for the mIRC subdirectory from 'read-only' to full permissions to allow mIRC to write to the files in that directory. Once I resolved that issue, it's been great.
This is a known problem with Windows 7. By default, Windows 7 does not allow writing to directories made under c:\Program Files.
As you stated, changing the permissions is an option. Additionally, installing to a main directory other than c:\Program Files or setting your Windows Login to use Administration configuration will also work.

C
OP Offline
C
Thank you all for your kinds replies.
I am checking through mirc.net to make sure scripts and addons I use indeed support the latest mIRC 7.1.

Link Copied to Clipboard