Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
T
i can't connect!
it says here..

poison drone.
-
Closing Link: -[bb220-255-107-153.singnet.com.sg] by gymnet.us.galaxynet.org (K-lined)

#22437 05/05/03 10:00 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Click the magical link so that you can be whisked away to a similar post

Also have you tried a search provided by the link at the top? Search "All Posts" and "All Forums" with the Keyword "Poison Drone" should give you related posts pertaining to the same network...

#22438 05/05/03 04:44 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
To moderators:

Think maybe it would be useful to make a sticky post that lists like

"If you've been kline on DALnet, go here ......"
"If you've been klined on Undernet, go here ......"
etc?

I'm sure the majority of people won't read it, but at least it gives us a nice post we can all refer to when people ask questions like this one...

#22439 05/05/03 08:21 PM
F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Remeber to ask S.Earch, he knows!! :P

#22440 05/05/03 09:56 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Um you know how many networks there are? That would be a fairly large post. Something like K-lined contact <designated administrator> or just wait it out would be fine...users should be able to figure out what their network webpage is or who the admins are at least to contact. 9 times out of 10, you would see it in the MOTD.

#22441 06/05/03 12:29 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
true but how many of them 9 times out of 10 are we directing them to read the motd?

D3m0nnet.com
#22442 06/05/03 12:42 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I was only implying that majority of the time (9 times out of 10) users can see the specific information in the MOTD. Users should be responsible for reading that upon connection whether or not we direct them to view it. That should be the first place to tell them to look. But they should be capable of that on their own as well.

#22443 06/05/03 12:53 AM
_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
again u do have a good and valid pouint but i guarantee u that in no less than 2 days time we have atleast 2 more ppl posting here about that same topic and again we will direct them to read the motd which they havent .... i mean really does it matter if we have 40 sticky threads or one ...... how many of them read them anyways? both points are valid but truthfully are there any real answers to ignorance? we all know how many ppl didnt read the dalnet threads awhile back thats just another point as to some ppls ignorance or inability to understand all this stuff

D3m0nnet.com
#22444 06/05/03 01:20 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
And the next time someone posts a similar question, i'm gonna give the same reply over and over again:

-The use of the search feature, many people use it and some don't its their choice whether or not they want to pursue a solution to their problem.

-The usage of the "/motd" command, so that if they have overlooked something i.e. general network contact information/network policy etc...

-Sticky posts (if any) for related problems.

Whether how many of them read it is their choice, they are the ones missing out so to speak. To be perfectly honest no matter what forum you vistit there are always the sticky threads visible to the users. I for one have always checked the sticky threads because they contain very important content hence the reson they are there. I have also used a search option if there was one given.

The number of sticky posts shouldn't matter as they all contain various bits of useful information. However, there are answers for ignorance, its called common sense/common knowledge or what ever. I am sure thats why there is a "/motd" command at their disposal.

Yes DALnet users were totally lacking it when the server problem came up. Most of them wanted the answer NOW but were probably not aware of the sticky threads at that time. Even if they were aware of the posts, but didn't read them were probably lazy not to read them. And yes I dare say that is ignorant but it is also an example of common sense.

Also, you have to stop and think about how many of these users are new to the forums and IRC in general. There are probably thousands of new mIRC users each day who have probably not looked at a forum before and that is quite possible, hence the reason for our repetition in answering practically similar posts each and every time. Nor, have they ever had problems before. It is gonna always be an endless cycle no matter what. All I say is provide them with the simplest answers and possibly helping them if they have no clue what we all explaining to them.

So in general, this is all very informative and useful its whether users execute commen sense/common knowledge to help them with their issues. And along the way, the views of many will be different. So in short it depends on the person having the problem.

*thinks a beer and quick hot pocket sounds good right about now*

#22445 06/05/03 11:33 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
General reply to everyone:

You all brought up good points, pro and con. In the previous board, i remember putting a sticky about this up, not sure why i didnt put one up this time, but i've added one now. It would be almost impossible to put links to every single network, so i've explained how to find their websites instead.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard