#224057 04/08/10 10:43 PM
M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Hi,

I really hope someone can help me out. I just updated to the newest version of irc version 7.1 and now I can't open up mIRC. When I try to open up mIRC, the icon goes into my system tray, but nothing else comes up. And once I try to open up mIRC and it doesn't open, then my internet connection completely stops and my browser will just load a website, but it won't work. Why won't it let me open it up and why is it affecting my internet?

Thank you for your time..

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
A bunch of questions:

1) Have you tricked clicking the mIRC icon in the tray? What happens when you do?
2) Do you have anti-virus software installed? Have you tried disabling it?
3) If you close mIRC does the internet "work" again?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. As for your questions:

1. Nothing happens or nothing comes up when I try to click on mIRC in the icon tray.

2. I'm running Shaw Secure (F-Secure) and I've never had this problem happen before.

3. It won't let me close mIRC. If I want the internet to work again, I have to restart my computer.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Open task manager and end the mIRC process to close it if it won't let you close it normally. Then see if the internet starts working again.

Did you download mIRC from mIRC.com? If you got it somewhere else, you may have a hacked copy that is attempting to use your computer in DDOS attacks or something else that is harmful to you or others. If you are using any scripts, remove them (just delete mIRC.ini and let mIRC recreate it).

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Riamus2,

Thank you for your help. I tried opening Task Manager and closing mIRC, but that didn't work. Like I mentioned in my post from my other thread, I had to just keep rebooting my computer every time that mIRC would freeze up and my internet would stop working.

I downloaded it from mIRC.com and I tried uninstalling mIRC 7.1 from my computer and then re-installing it once again, but it still wouldn't work. So like I stated in my other thread, I'm just going to use 6.35 for now.

Thanks again for helping me out and taking the time to go over my posts. It is greatly appreciated :p

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
What do you mean by "it" won't let you close mIRC? What is "it"? It sounds like mIRC might be frozen, which would most likely be caused by a faulty script.

Did you have scripts installed in 6.35? Make sure you install a completly clean install of 7.1. This means backing up all of your settings (in the %APPDATA%\mIRC folder), deleting those settings (not the backup, of course) and installing 7.1 to a new directory (if 6.35 is in Program Files\mIRC make sure you choose another location).

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
argv0,

That's exactly it, when I tried using version 7.1, mIRC basically froze once I got into the program and then that caused my internet to stop working. Hence then I had to constantly reboot my computer every time I tried to open mIRC. What I mean by "it" is basically I couldn't get into mIRC.."it" is just the program mIRC.

I don't think I have any special scripts installed in 6.35 besides the basics. I tried installing a clean 7.1 and that didn't work. I'm going to try what you said about installing 7.1 to a completely different directory. But even then, I still can't use my 6.35 ini and the same thing will happen all over again.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You should NOT be using your 6.35 ini, this is what I mean by clean install. Test *WITHOUT* your old settings and confirm that mIRC loads properly.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
M
mlansky Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
M
Yes, mIRC 7.1 works without my 6.35 ini. I did do a clean install earlier with 7.1 and it works fine. I just want to be able to have my old ini settings work with the newest version, but that's not going to work. So I just re-installed version 6.35 and used that with my ini.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Your old settings will work, but the scripts you have installed will not. Some of them might, but clearly one of your scripts is broken.

The mirc.ini file contains both your settings and the information about which scripts are loaded, but one of the scripts is causing mIRC to freeze. You can load up mirc.ini and go to the [rfiles] section. Removing one of those lines at a time and restarting mIRC will show you which of those scripts is the problem. Make sure mIRC is not running when you edit mirc.ini. And make sure you backup your files just in case.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC

Link Copied to Clipboard