mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
M
In v6, "action text" overrode "own text" and displayed the "action text" color when I performed an action myself.

In v7, the opposite is happening. This is annoying the **** out of me. How to fix?

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I can confirm this, it might be looks like a bug, you should report this in the bug reports forum.

Note that it does not do it if you "Reset" the colours, only if you set a specific Own Text colour.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Ah yes, I managed to reproduce it.
The override happens only when "Own text" is not equal to "Normal text". If the two are similar then "Action text" is used.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have not been able reproduce a difference in behaviour between v6.35 and v7.1. Are you sure that the new version is behaving differently? As 5618 mentioned, if you specify an "own text" color, this is used for all of your own messages. This has been the case for many versions.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The behaviour is indeed the same in 6.35 and 7.1

The *inconsistency* is that when Normal text and Own text are set to the same colour that actions performed by you will be coloured as Action text.
However, when Normal text is a different colour from Own text, then actions performed by you will be coloured as Own text.

I assume that behaviour is desirable though since it allows for 2 scenarios:
1. people who like to have all their own text in a different colour will also see their own actions in that colour
2. people who do not like to see their own text in a different colour will see their own actions as all other actions

The original poster probably happened to stumble on this difference in behaviour only now and was expecting scenario 3. where all your own text, except actions, appear in the colour set for Own text.

The only (simple) solution for this would be to add a 'Own actions' menu item in the Colors dialog.
Apart from any easily scripted solution of course.

Last edited by 5618; 07/08/10 05:01 PM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
There are some oddities in the current behaviour. I'm not sure if they're the same as in 6.35, but they don't look correct to me.

Try this:

1. Reset Own Text in Alt+K to be K1 (black), or the default for the theme.
2. Create an action: /me tests something. The action should be in normal Action Text colour, not Own Text. If Own Text is meant to override this, it does not here.
3. Type something: "hello world"
4. Change Own Text in Alt+K to something else. You'll notice that your existing messages in the window change except for your actions. If Own Text is meant to override action text, it does not change existing lines.
5. Create another action: /me tests something again. You'll see that now it is overridden by Own Text. If this is the 6.35 behaviour, it works here.
6. Change the Own Text colour back to black and the last action and message will change colours, but again, the first action will not. And again, if you make a third /me action, it will show in Action Text colour, not the "black" to reset it to. This seems like an inconsistency worthy of "bug" classification to me.

Personally I wouldn't have expected Own Text to override Action Text, as this looks weird. I don't know what the 6.35 behaviour was, since I never ran into it, but the suggested compromise of adding Own Action Text sounds like a good one to me.

As a sidenote, I've found the behaviour of "Reset" confusing. It does not "Reset" to the *default* colour, just the one that was set prior to the dialog being open. It would be useful to have a "reset to default" behaviour (moreso than that of the current Reset). I can imagine a few people get confused about this. If it's meant to reset to the last change, "Undo" would be a more appropriate name.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
M
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
M
Originally Posted By: 5618
Ah yes, I managed to reproduce it.
The override happens only when "Own text" is not equal to "Normal text". If the two are similar then "Action text" is used.

Ding ding. Thanks. Apparently when I flipped to a black background scheme I completely forgot that "Normal text" was an option and hence, it was left default. Flipping it to white worked. Ty.

In other words, I fail. Lol.

What is odd about this is I tried to copy the settings exactly between two machines (one running 6.35, one running 7.1) but that was never noticed. Sigh.

Last edited by mainstreet; 07/08/10 08:12 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think having an option for Own Text be "Default" or something would be helpful. Own text overrides notices and can override actions as it stands now. It probably would be nice to have notices and actions show as the colors you have set for them even if you're sending them.

And I have to agree with argv0 that the way changing the color of Own Text while having actions on the screen seems messed up for the same reasons he mentioned.

Last edited by Riamus2; 07/08/10 08:12 PM.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard