mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
A
arthoz Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
A
I'm not sure if im to put this in the bug reports or in feature suggestion, but /scon can bring along recursion, which is not something you want (in mIRC) i suppose

example of recursion, and following error when used:
* Error allocating stack memory
alias away { scon -at1 away $iif($1,$1-,) }

With mIRC i feel that when using scon/scid there probably should be a simple check to see if there is recursion happening though i have no idea if this is an easy fix.

sidenote: If anyone is interested, fixed it doing this: alias away { scon -at1 .raw away $iif($1,$1-,) }

D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
A slightly more elegant solution is to use a ! prefix with the command, like so:

Code:
alias away { scon -at1 !away $1- }

If you aren't already familiar with this, /!away will execute the default built-in /away command, thus ignoring any custom /away alias you have created. You can use this prefix to bypass any custom alias.

Unfortunately, it's difficult for mIRC to consider every possible scenario where recursion could occur, and in some cases it may even be desired. There probably is not an easy fix for this.

A
arthoz Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Good morning :>

I wasnt aware that using the ! prefix would also make mIRC use the built-in command as well, thanks =)

Anyhow, just thought i'd make a post since it does give that error, also i really wish the helpfile would be updated to have things like this included in it

E
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
E
Quote:
If you want to perform a command without it being processed as an alias, you can prefix it with a ! exclamation mark.

It's in the helpfile under the Aliases topic, in the Command prefixes section. I learned it the hard way too smile

A
arthoz Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ah, very easy to miss to be a apart of the "/.alias" part of it. It needs to be separated more, and its not clearly written imo, i didn't read that as "uses the built-in alias instead", probably because using the ! prefix on $identifiers yields a different result :P

Ah well, thanks anyhow =)

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
It's not part of "/.alias" it's part of "Aliases" - meaning custom aliases.. which is exactly where recursion usually applies!

It can also apply to signals:

Code:
alias test { signal test blah }
on *:signal:test:{ signal test blah }

Although for some reason, mIRC doesn't catch that and just runs that signal indefinitely and you have to ctrl+break to get out of it.

Anyhow, recursion is a very useful tool when used correctly and doesn't need to be "fixed" - the scripter just needs to be aware that it exists and how to get around it (by using !builtincommand)

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
That code will only cause recursion if you use /signal -n.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
If a signal is calling itself in its own event, regardless of whether there's a delay or not, it's recursion.

If you meant that you get the error allocating stack memory error by using /signal -n, then yes you're right.

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: hixxy
If a signal is calling itself in its own event, [..]

But without -n it's not. It is scheduling a signal for later, and the later invocation will not be from the context of the original event.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Fair enough. I don't know much about the underlying code, thanks!

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: arthoz
I'm not sure if im to put this in the bug reports or in feature suggestion, but /scon can bring along recursion, which is not something you want (in mIRC) i suppose

example of recursion, and following error when used:
* Error allocating stack memory
alias away { scon -at1 away $iif($1,$1-,) }

With mIRC i feel that when using scon/scid there probably should be a simple check to see if there is recursion happening though i have no idea if this is an easy fix.

sidenote: If anyone is interested, fixed it doing this: alias away { scon -at1 .raw away $iif($1,$1-,) }

alias away { if (%t.away) break | set -eu0 %t.away 1 | scon -at1 $iif($show,away,.away) $iif($1,$1-,) }

That'll fix your recursion problem.

Last edited by MeStinkBAD; 14/08/10 04:56 AM.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!

Link Copied to Clipboard