mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#223789 01/08/10 06:37 PM
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
I am using MIRC 6.21 on my Vista 32 bit machine. I used it for years since I found that version very stable. I decided to upgrade to 7.1, because some of my log files had a compatibility issue. I downloaded the program, installed it, but when I wanted to bring my settings, files, urls etc into the new program, it told me to close all programs. All programs were closed and it still did not let me continue. The only way I could use MIRC 7.1 was without the migration of my settings. Please advise me how to get past this issue. On my Windows 7 64 bit machine, I had no problem. Thanks in advance....Steve

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Open mIRC and type this:
Code:
//echo -a $mircdir

This is the directory mIRC is using for its settings files. If you close mIRC and place your files in that dir, everything should be ok.
Note that this cannot be in Program Files under Vista.

5618 #223864 02/08/10 06:01 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I have mirc in C:/programfile/mirc in vista. Should I move it and reinstall it in the C:/ directory?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
What does the command I gave you return?

5618 #223867 02/08/10 06:19 PM
S
OP Offline
S
This is what I get

C:\Program Files\mIRC\

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Try move mirc to C:\mirc and see if that helps..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yeah, Vista has default security settings such that you aren't supposed to write to the Program Files folders, so it can cause problems. Using another location for the install saves a lot of hassle, but you can also change the security settings to make it work. Windows 7 has similar security settings, but they aren't as strict, which is probably why that worked for you.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
S
OP Offline
S
How can one change the security settings? Thanks.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I believe you can right click on the folder and change them under a Security tab, but I haven't used Vista in almost a year and can't remember for certain how it's set up there. You could also just completely disable UAC (type UAC in the search box in the Control Panel and it will give you the place to change it), but I don't know if that will completely remove any security settings they have on Program Files. It's usually just easier to install somewhere else.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard