#223844 02/08/10 03:15 PM
D
Dragen Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
Hi.

In 7.1 DCC transfer speeds seems to be limited. After updating, I got 504 KB/s max when I got 1.1 MB/s with 6.35, and others reporting 700 KB/s.

My speeds have been fixed after a reboot, but others are still limited by this bug.

Using DCC is not illegal, and wether or not you think it is, this is still something of a setback.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
DCC speeds can be influenced by many factors. Can you test it using a clean copy (no scripts, DLLs, etc) of both 6.35 and 7.1 and send the same file to the same person from both versions and test speeds? You will want to test both versions as close together as possible (don't wait an hour before testing the other version). It could be that the person you're sending to can't receive files that fast or your internet connection is congested or any number of other reasons.

As to your miniature note, DCC isn't illegal. Sending copyrighted files without permission to someone else is illegal.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
N
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
N
I have the same problem. I even tested my speed to make sure that it wasn't my ISP.
My speed was limited to 690 at max while before upgrading to 7.1 i was downloading at 2.1.

i decided to downgrade to 6.35 because of that and i'm back to normal download speed. so something is capping the speed in 7.1.

I have a registered copy of mirc. I thought maybe it'll help but nada. Not very happy to have my program limited for no reason.

S
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
S
I've been experiencing the same problem. My incoming DCC transfer speeds with mIRC 6.35 were around 2.3-2.8MB/s.

I updated to mIRC 7.1 and the speeds were stuck at around 667KB/s.
I've done a fresh install of mIRC 7.1 with the same problem.
I reinstalled mIRC 6.35 and reached 2.3-2.8MB/s again.

The speeds were from the same person.

D
Dragen Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
D
After a little discussing, it turns out that all of the ones having this problem after rebooting, are running Windows XP. And the ones that has it fixed after a reboot, are running Win7.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There was a change to the DCC Send routine that made it less intensive, to prevent display lag, especially when sending many files at the same time. That is probably the reason why it is slower. I will see what I can do about this for the next version. You may see a difference in transfer speed between XP and 7 because timers under 7 seem to be more precise.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Question: what value is your DCC Send packet size set to? If you set it to the maximum (65535) does that make a difference?

S
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
S
I've reinstalled mIRC 7.1 After confirming I still get 667KB/s from a single send, I set the DCC Send packet size 65535. It didn't make a difference.

I believe the packet size was set to 4096 prior to changing it to 65535. I'm also running Win XP.

N
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
N
So, we should not wait for a fix until the next upgrade?
just asking so that i can tell the others.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There won't be a fix until the next release. That said, if enough bugs are found or any major bugs are found in this release, Khaled may choose to put out a new version somewhat soon rather than the normal year or so between releases. I don't think I've seen enough real bugs posted here or any major ones to warrant that, but that's up to Khaled to determine.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I plan to release an update quite soon for this version. After a major release, I usually wait a few weeks so that I can receive bug reports and apply fixes. Once it looks like most issues have been reported, I will release an update.

B
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
B
I have noticed this speed problem too and for me it makes a difference, yes. It was set to 4096 and the speed was fluctuating between 300KB/sec and 500KB/sec (that is on a LAN). When changing it to 65535 it doubled the sending speed, it now fluctuates between 850KB/sec and 1.20MB/sec. While it is still not the speeds I should be getting (5MB/sec and more), I'm happy it's a bit faster now.

Link Copied to Clipboard