Print Thread
#223573 29/07/10 03:36 AM
P
pball Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
P
I've use $v1 a few times after if statements, but I find myself wishing there was something like that for while loops.

I have lots of loops that use $gettok() and then I reference that same $gettok() many times in the loop, it would simpler if $v1 also worked in while loops.

EX:
set -l %stuff 1|2|3|4|5|6|7
set -l %num 1
while ($gettok(%stuff,%num,124)) {
echo -a $v1
inc %num
}

it'd be nice to use $v1 instead of $gettok(%stuff,%num,124), specially if I need to use that token multiple times.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
$v1 already works in while loops. Even the exact code you posted produces the expected result.

Note that if you call an alias containing an if statement then $v1 and $v2 will be overwritten for subsequent commands.

P
pball Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
P
wtf i swore i tried that and it didn't work before, not that exact code but using $v1

EDIT:
Actually now that I think about it my request still stands. Just a slight change, give use a unique $v1 type identifier for while loops. While $v1 does work in a loop it's reset as soon as you use an if statement. So an identifier for only while loops would be great.

Last edited by pball; 29/07/10 03:42 PM.

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
Code:
while (this condition that) {
  var %v1 = $v1, %v2 = $v2
  if (something condition thisthing) {
    ;use $v1 & $v2 for the if part, and %v1,%v2 for checking while things 
  }
}

I am SReject
My Stuff
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
FYI, $v1 and $v2 identifier weren't introduced until the version 6.16. They work the same for $ifmatch and $ifmatch2

So for those who still stick around with the old version below 6.16, they must use the other two for reference.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
$v1/$v2 would *always* reset for any other control statement. Even if mIRC had a special "$v1"-like identifier for while loops, it would still necessarily reset for another nested while:

Code:
while (conditionA) {
  while (conditionB) {
    echo -a $v1 | ; results of conditionB
  }
}

So it doesn't really help that much. Given that you can always assign the result to a variable, and that you would still need to do this in at least a few cases, another special variable would only lead to more confusion.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
P
pball Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
P
that is true, but I find myself needing the same value only inside single while loops and not nested while loops.

F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
See my previous post smile

I am SReject
My Stuff
R
RRX Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
R
The 'reset' goes even further than you think, even without an /if in your while loop: if you call an alias containing a condition, it's altered from there.

Last edited by RRX; 01/08/10 12:01 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That doesn't change what was said... just set a variable. Trying to keep track of a bunch of different $v's in order to keep from replacing them with other conditions, you can much more easily set a variable and be done with it. It doesn't slow your script down anywhere near enough to notice.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
RRX Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
R
It doesn't change what was said, it appends to it: not only other conditions (alike the mentioned outer while loop condition) alter $v1, also external code that is called, so without any condition in this code section, will alter it whenever it has a condition somewhere. You don't see any condition, yet $v1 is altered due to an alias call.

For example:
Code:
alias bla { if ($read(mirc.ini,1) != $null) { blalog $v1 | echo -ag $v1 logged } }
alias blalog { if (ON == %logging) { noop } }

notice how the second $v1 in alias bla becomes the 'ON' from alias blalog.
That was what I tried to make clear.
So yes, it should use a variable.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Ok, I thought you were adding that extra $v's should be used because of that reason as well. I agree with you. laugh

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard