Print Thread
#221077 06/05/10 05:41 PM
S
sophi Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
it would be nice to have mirc highlight spelling errors while i'm inputting text... firefox has this. and so does tweetdeck. :3

sophi #221083 07/05/10 01:56 AM
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Originally Posted By: sophi
it would be nice to have mirc highlight spelling errors while i'm inputting text... firefox has this. and so does tweetdeck. :3

This has been suggested many times. However, this would add size and overhead to mIRC that is not needed.

What you could do is use one of the many free spell checking
programs available that would do it not only when you are using
mIRC but also other programs. (including notepad etc)...

One that is free and I have used with some sucess is at
www.tinyspell.com and is called by the same name tinyspell.

This program does not take a lot of resources and I think will
'fit the bill' for what you want.

Help others! It makes the world a better place, Makes you feel good, and makes you Healthy!
HorseC #221093 07/05/10 02:48 PM
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: HorseC
Originally Posted By: sophi

This has been suggested many times. However, this would add size and overhead to mIRC that is not needed.

It's needed! I hoped spell check would be part of the Win7 framework, like it is w/ MacOS X. Regardless it's basically standard with today's applications. And I don't see how it would add any size or overhead to mIRC, other than using shared resources.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Originally Posted By: MeStinkBAD

It's needed! I hoped spell check would be part of the Win7 framework, like it is w/ MacOS X. Regardless it's basically standard with today's applications. And I don't see how it would add any size or overhead to mIRC, other than using shared resources.

[rant]
Just once I'd like to see a post of yours that wasn't bitching about either Windows or mIRC. If you hate them both so much, might I suggest not using either? [/rant]

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Originally Posted By: YouStinkBAD

It's needed!

Oh for pete's sake, no it's not. It's IRC.

RoCk #221098 07/05/10 04:31 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: RoCk

Originally Posted By: YouStinkBAD

It's needed!

Oh for pete's sake, no it's not. It's IRC.

Lol! I'd have to agree. Who cares if there are typos? You aren't writing some essay or business report or anything else where spelling matters. Still, I don't think it would be bad to add it. It isn't NEEDED, but it would be worth adding, I think. **AFTER** more important things.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
sophi #221104 07/05/10 08:07 PM
F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
If u have any of the MS office programs installed, fire fox, or numerous other programs with a spell checker you can probably use COMs to check the data. Infact, there is a COMs tutorial at mircscripts.org where the first part explains how to access MS excel's spell checker. the snippet could probably be modified into an on input laugh

Last edited by FroggieDaFrog; 07/05/10 08:11 PM.

I am SReject
My Stuff
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
That would hardly be feasable, unless you can magically underline the misspelled words on the fly, which is, as far as I know, not possible... but it'd be nice if someone'd prove me wrong ;_)

http://zowb.net

/server -m irc.p2p-network.net -j #zomgwtfbbq
(ssl on port 6697 and 7000)
Knoeki #221158 08/05/10 11:31 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You'd have to pop up a window stating the misspelled words and asking if you want to send it as-is or edit it. There's no way for it to underline on the fly. Keep in mind that the edit line is handled by Windows and not mIRC. As such, unless Windows has a built-in underline-if-misspelled option, it won't be possible to do that even with it built into mIRC unless mIRC takes full control of the edit box.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Originally Posted By: CtrlAltDel

[rant]
Just once I'd like to see a post of yours that wasn't bitching about either Windows or mIRC. If you hate them both so much, might I suggest not using either? [/rant]

confused

I wasn't aware that supporting a feature request in the "Feature Suggestions" board was bitching. Passive spelling correction would be a very welcome feature. It's common in many apps, not only web browsers but text editors and the like.

Not once have I seen someone say "OMIGOD I can't STAND how miss-spelled words are underlined as I type! It's so aggravating! Get rid of it! I hate it!"

Rather it's a very welcome feature. And I don't see why mIRC should not include one if one can easily be added. It's just as necessary if not more so then mIRC's scripting support.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
Riamus2 #221167 09/05/10 09:14 AM
F
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
F
exactly. something like this would appear, kind of like a combobox, after u hit space/punctuation if the word is misspelled. A right click menu could be added to add the word to the dictionary or what not smile

And like I said, it could be done with mSLscripting smile

I am SReject
My Stuff
sophi #222745 01/07/10 07:24 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
As Grammatikfuhrer i have to agree with it, unless new version will bring us some satisfactory way to implement it with via scripting.

M
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
M
It's just as necessary if not more so then mIRC's scripting support.

LOL!!!! U R verrrrrrrry funnyyyyyyyy!!!! We defin8ly NEEEEED this.

Just not sure which languages I'd like to see implemented (but if the spell checker could convert everything everyone else types to English, that'd be awesome!)

MrEen

P.S. Since a spell checker could be (and has been, I'm pretty sure) scripted, how could it possibly be more necessary than scripting support?

P.P.S. The way texters/tweeters/etc. have been dumbing down the language lately, I'd think most efforts at spell checking would be a complete waste of time. Just my opinion.

Last edited by MrEen; 14/07/10 03:23 AM.
MrEen #223109 14/07/10 04:57 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Originally Posted By: MrEen

P.P.S. The way texters/tweeters/etc. have been dumbing down the language lately, I'd think most efforts at spell checking would be a complete waste of time. Just my opinion.

It's not just texters/tweeters that have been dumbing down the language, it's high school graduates that can't spell or make change that bother me.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard