Print Thread
#222966 11/07/10 02:52 AM
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
i changed ISP from Bellsouth to Charter and the router Linksys DPC2325 can't let me in MIRC. i'm assuming this is either a port forward situation or a firewall but i went into their port forward and firewall settings in the router site and neither one seems to work. Not sure if this is a tough firewall or what. any ideas?

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
forgot to watch the topic. sorry for the repost.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
anyone?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
What error message do you get when you try to connect to IRC? What servers have you tried connecting to?

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
collective,i really don't get any errors but it simply won't connect. i belong to a dalnet channel. i do get in the status window this message though:

Connecting to irc.dal.net (6663)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)
-
* Connect retry #1 irc.dal.net (6663) (dns pool)

and it happens over and over again for almost 2 days now. I could login fine on friday night but yesterday morning i was disconnected and haven't been on since. i'm confused.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Have you tried any other networks?

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
yeah. i even know a website that has mirc java chats and it does it there as well. as i said until Friday i hat AT&T internet and it never did it then. now i'm on Charter with a Cisco router and i can't get in.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
anyone? i'm an op in my room and i can't get on mirc for the life of me. i keep thinking it's either a port forward issue or a firewall issue but in my router neither works. if it works with at&t but not cisco there's something wrong.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Please stop bumping threads. This is a forum for posting messages, not a real-time discussion. People will answer you when they can- they're not obliged to work on your schedule. If you're looking for more time sensitive help, there are web chats (http://mibbit.com is not Java based and should guarantee a connection) that can connect you to networks with #mIRC help channels-- otherwise you'll have to wait.

It also might be wise to provide more information about your problem. You won't get much help if we keep having to ask for clarifications. Read http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html and come back with a proper description of your entire issue.

Thanks

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
i'm not bumping. i just want to get on mirc. this is the only program i can't get on since i switched to charter. i just wanted help. i already posted all i can think of regarding this issue. if you scroll up it tells you what i'm experiencing.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Both of your "Anyone?" posts are considered bumps... especially after only 1.5 hours. Any questions regarding connection issues are likely to take days to figure out. Be patient.

For that matter, have you taken time to read through this thread? It probably has an answer for you. It's long, but you can read it faster than you're likely to get a response here that will help you. There are other threads in the connection help forum as well.

You will probably need to contact Charter and make sure that they even allow IRC.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
everyone at charter are a bunch of idiots. I called already asking about the port forward and firewall thing and they told me to contact cisco and i know they'd send me right back to charter. looks like i'm doomed. i have tried everything frown

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
You haven't given us any information besides the fact that you cannot connect. There are about one thousand possible explanations for not being able to connect to mIRC.

Read the URL I gave you, follow its advice and be specific about your problem description. When it started, anything you did before it started, if you've ever connected to IRC before on the machine/network, etc.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well at the beginning i said i could get on fine until i switched to Charter. i could get on at first but the connection was unstable. then saturday morning about 9:00 am central i got a disconnected message and i've been offline since. I tried a few different servers like Efnet and so on but all i get are failed to connect,dns pool,and socket on non socket errors on the status window. I have been to 2 java IRC chats where it'll give me "exception" errors. so either it's a Charter situation,a firewall situation,a port forward situation,r something simple i'm overlooking. Either way i went into my router website and i turned off firewall and i forwarded the ports and neither of the ways help me get in. My friends can get in MIRC just fine. I'm starting to think i'll never get back into MIRC at this point frown I did try looking at that page and it was everything i've done so far,so i'm screwed i guess.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
If your cisco router is one of the ones listed below, go to portforward.com and follow the instructions there.
800 series

Otherwise, try downloading and using Cisco's Router and Security Device Manager. Start Here

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
ctrlaltdel,does that support the DPC2325 model? because that is what mine is. i can't use that security thing until i become a member of the site.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
i guess i'll never get back on mirc at this point. frown this stinks.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I have no idea as to whether this is applicable or not, but I found this after doing a bit of hunting.
Quote:
Troubleshooting Tips
Verify that you have called your cable service provider and given them the serial number and MAC address of your cable modem.

Source: http://www1.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/modem_DPC2325.html#~troubleshooting

Additional searching also brought me to this which sounds like it might be applicable.

In any case, this is a problem/situation with your router/modem and/or ISP, not mIRC.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Given that you're unable to connect to IRC servers even with alternate IRC clients, this is not an mIRC issue. You may think they're "idiots", but the tech support people from your ISP are the only people who can help you here-- this is a little out of the scope of this forum. They would be able to answer questions such as "is IRC being blocked?", or a request to swap routers if yours is defective.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
well it would be as simple as that,however most of these people are just that. tech support for the ISP. if you say ICQ or MIRC or even Frostwire,they'll say "huh?" so no one knows anything. I was able to get the tech guy out here who was familiar with the program. He swapped the Internet Box with a new one and i can get on now though. it seems to take it's time connecting which is unusual as i'm on Cable Internet but oh well.

Link Copied to Clipboard