mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
TGP1994 Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone. I was going to update to the latest version of mIRC released yesterday, (due to a bug where it seems like initial server connections are not threaded, locking up the entire program), but it says it cannot connect to the update server.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Give it some time, the servers might be having trouble temporarily.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
T
TGP1994 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Oh, alright. And is there a known bug where you can't actually connect to any IRC servers? I've tried Efnet and Freenode, and I keep getting dropped with in the first couple of seconds in a connection.

T
TGP1994 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Also, it still says it's unable to connect to the mIRC website when updating. Sounds like a bug to me.

(And what's with this Invalid argument error when connecting to any IRC server? I've never seen it before.)

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Are you running any firewall/security software (e.g. Norton)? If I recall correctly then certain security packages have been known to cause that error, so try adding mIRC as an exception and checking any logs the firewall/AV/etc. software produces.

T
TGP1994 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Huh, that's weird. It turns out that the GUI to my Outpost Firewall had shutdown, but not the actual program. I shut down both, and it works now! Thanks! (Perhaps some more information upfront in mIRC would be nice, like why that argument was invalid.)

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Invalid Argument is an error value returned by Winsock and doesn't come with more information. The most mIRC could do is tell you which particular function (bind/connect/setsockopt/etc.) and arguments produced that error, which isn't likely to lead anyone to a particular external program being the problem.

T
TGP1994 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hm, alright, so first troubleshooting step is the firewall, if any. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard