mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Fiamma Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
F
It's running fine in the x86 folder under Win 7 Pro 64 bit, just curious.

Last edited by Fiamma; 01/06/10 04:27 PM.
P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
As someone stated before somewhere else, it probably wouldn't be worth the switch since it won't help much. I'm guessing it'll be switched over some day when 32bit gets phased out but that's a while away.

http://scripting.pball.win
My personal site with some scripts I've released.
M
Babel fish
Babel fish
M
Quote:
Fiamma

It's running fine in the x86 folder under Win 7 Pro 64 bit, just curious.

It would be nice for mIRC to be both 32bit and 64bit separately

Quote:

pball

As someone stated before somewhere else, it probably wouldn't be worth the switch since it won't help much. I'm guessing it'll be switched over some day when 32bit gets phased out but that's a while away.

mIRC more than likely will not automatically be switched over. From what I understand/think, mIRC will be on 32bit for at least a few years after 32bit gets phased out

In the past, Khaled has released version of mIRC for versions of Windows that Microsoft dropped.

Windows 95 - Unsupported as of 31 December 2001
Windows 98 - Unsupported as of 11 July 2006
Windows ME - Unsupported as of 11 July 2006

mIRC 6.35 - Released October 17th 2008 supported Windows 95/98/ME long after Microsoft stopped supporting them.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Also, as a more accurate comparison, you can look at 16bit support, which stayed around long after everyone had switched over to 32bit machines.

That doesn't mean mIRC won't release a 64bit version and a 32bit version in tandem, though-- which is what mIRC did with 16/32 in the past.

However, there's less reason to switch to 64bit right now.. mIRC doesn't gain much from running as a 64bit application, and a 64bit machine can run 32bit applications-- this was unlike 32bit machines with 16bit applications.. back then there was more reason for mIRC to support the new architecture.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I agree with argv0. Why would you need a 64-bit mirc? 64 bit processor can support most 32-bit applications. Besides, there's literally zero to gain with mirc client.

S
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
S
Yes that is right. I am having no problem with the current one, and have no issues too.

A
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
A
Originally Posted By: argv0
Also, as a more accurate comparison, you can look at 16bit support, which stayed around long after everyone had switched over to 32bit machines.

That doesn't mean mIRC won't release a 64bit version and a 32bit version in tandem, though-- which is what mIRC did with 16/32 in the past.

However, there's less reason to switch to 64bit right now.. mIRC doesn't gain much from running as a 64bit application, and a 64bit machine can run 32bit applications-- this was unlike 32bit machines with 16bit applications.. back then there was more reason for mIRC to support the new architecture.

I agree... the 32-bit version of mIRC doesnt have any compatibility issues (that ive seen) under Win 7, and further 64-bit will not help you log onto a network quicker as servers run at their own speed and that has nothing to do with mIRC. Making a 64-bit version would be pointless at this point until Microsuck comes out with a new version of windows. And on that topic i heard the next version will be 64-bit ONLY, fyi.

Long story short, no.. there wont be one for a long time yet.

Curiosity killed the cat.. but for a while i was a suspect.

Link Copied to Clipboard