mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
As you are at school, and therefore, probably, connecting using the schools network, IRC may be blocked by the school.

It is not uncommon for schools to regulate what can and can't be sent over their network, due to the fact that as a student you probably signed an agreement stating that the school's computer system is to be used for educational purposes only.

Most schools do not include IRC as educational.

Your next step should be to contact the IT department at your school, and ask them if they block IRC ports.

If they do, then you can ask them if there is a way for you to access IRC. Sometimes they allow connections to things like IRC if the connections are made outside of normal class hours.

It is against the policy of this forum to provide you with assistance in trying to get around your school's restrictions.

As noted in at least one other post (which I'm not going to try searching for), in-spite of the fact that the error message indicates that the problem is software based, most of the solutions that do end up working require the resetting or replacement of hardware.

G
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
G
I got 10053-disconnected from 3 (out of 7) connected servers at the very instant I unlocked my (XP Pro SP3) workstation after being locked over the night. Coincidence?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Originally Posted By: Gewisch
Coincidence?

Yes.

F
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
F
I had been using Mirc for years on a Model Dial up connection. When I upgraded my connection to Charter High speed I received the 10053 error every time I tried to connect.

I played around with my ports and some settings and I can connect to a server and the default channel. People can see that I'm on but I cannot type to them or join channels. I'm disconnected 30 seconds to 1m later due to error 10053.

Also, MSN worked before the ISP changed and now when I connect to it my whole net crashes and I need to reset my router.

Help =(

A
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
A
i had a hard time getting to this point, but i finally made it. had to download mirc and then do a few other things before i finally was able to talk to anyone. I'm so happy I can now talk to other students/graduates.

A
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
A
now, i'm getting the message saying i'm not on channel?

Z
ziv Offline
Babel fish
Babel fish
Z
I'm - while not at home - using my Nokia N95 as a means to connect to the internet, sadly, I am unable to connect to any IRC network with the exception of really small ones...
and even then, it seems picky... >_>

My phone's capable of 921kbps/115kbps...

ZoneAlarm...win7...32bit...

Don't know what else to add, just that I get that annoying error as well.

When ever I try connecting to the bigger networks, like my main one(irc.UTChat.com), I manage to get to the first MOTD line, get a long lag and then get the error.
Of course, I removed the MOTD via options, to no effect.

Is there a way to connect via my phone, with my laptop?
No other program shows this error, I can even use mIRC to manually connect to a network with sockets...but then I have to do everything manually smirk

I have a VB with Ubuntu in it, I can manage connections with XChat just fine, but I never liked XChat -_-
(Really...I'm a mIRC-er, I only use mIRC -_-)

Edit: Fixed by tweaking my MTU :>

ziv.

Last edited by ziv; 29/05/10 04:31 PM.
M
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
M
This problem, at least for me, is exclusive of Mirc..... i can connect and use normally other clients without any aborts whatsoever....

ParaBrat #225109 25/08/10 10:56 PM
N
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
N
TL;DR Possible fix: Reset your Firewall, all the Rules and exceptions, and maybe deny certain Windows connections which you might otherwise be inclined to allow just to "let it do it's thing". Also, explicitly define a rule for mIRC to allow TCP & UDP traffic both ways. I'm not a security guru, but doing this could lower security for your mIRC client, as you are allowing EVERYTHING to pass in and out. /TLDR

Hey everyone, I was considering signing up JUST to query you folks about my problem; I was getting disconnected over a 10053 Error, almost exactly every 30 minutes.

This started happening out of nowhere, I hadn't changed any Drivers, not installed any new Applications, and even Windows Updates couldn't have played a part. I know this because I was running my Computer for 3 days straight, and only just started happening by the second-third day (And that's not a 72hour IRC Server connection, that's closing the client down occasionally).

So I was stumped, but I'm pretty sure I found a solution, at least for my circumstance, which might help others.

My Firewall (ESET Security Suite) was set to Automated mode, in other words, it was handling all the Internet Connections on it's own, declining/accepting incoming and outgoing data to the net.

On one of my searches, I read at least one person found a limit in the TCP/IP Connection limit per second was being exceeded (Introduced in Win XP SP2, I'm Win7 but thought what have I got to lose) which was causing there mIRC 10053 Error. One link led to another, and it ultimately led me to checking Netstat in the Command Prompt to view my current connections to the Internet, see if anything is out the ordinary.

One thing stood out: I had about 5-10 connections to a Microsoft server, exactly the same IP Address for all of them, all marked as established (This appears to be normal anyway). I realise this is potentially nothing to do with the aforemention "Connection limit" thing, as that's based on the number of connections formed over a tiny period of time, but thought I would clean this mess up.

I proceeded by taking control of my Firewall, setting it from Automated mode to Interactive Mode, so I could handle EVERY Application connection, even the Windows stuff lurking in the background. According to the official ESET article on reverting the Firewall Rules to default, you need to delete 3 files from within Safe Mode (Can't access two of them whilst under normal Windows Boot).

So I did that, deleted the three files, rebooted into normal Windows, denied some of the Windows Outgoing connections (Resolving IP's to Domain names in some instances and some quick research on top, not just randomly denying stuff), and explicitly defined a rule allowing all in/out connectivity for mIRC... and currently I've been connected 1 Hours 32 minutes without a hitch.

And that's the business I went through to solve my problem. Hope this helps someone...

Btw, if you struggle to find the hotkey for your BIOS to launch Safe Mode, you can also go:
Start Menu -> Run -> Enter "msconfig" -> Select "Boot" Tab -> Set "Safe Mode: Minimal boot".
Save that change, restart PC, delete the 3 files, enter MSConfig again to disable Safe Mode launch (I expected it to auto revert to normal, but it didn't), and restart back to normal Windows.

Afterthought: I'll report back if it haunts me again, and look back on this thread occasionally regardless...

Last edited by NK2015; 25/08/10 11:09 PM.
N
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
N
I am running into this same error code as well and My computer is a Dell thats running Windows Vista. I tried the Windows 7 upgrade and when I did mIRC wouldn't run at all. is there a verion that is available that will run with Windows Vista or Windows 7 and not run into this problem.
Thanx,N C Man

R
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
R
I get this error when AutoConnecting to OFTC on Windows 7. If i manually type /server irc.oftc.net mIRC connects successfuly and stays connected. I am using v7.1

N
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
N
Okay!

I have been wrestling with this issue all day. Here's a couple things:

1) I just got a new router, a D-Link DIR-601, and I began getting 10053 errors exactly every 8 minutes.
2) I've been using mIRC since 2002 without every seeing this error once! laugh
3) It is OS-independent; I've duplicated the error on XP and Win7. It is also server-independent. I've used a dozen different IRC servers to prove this.
4) This error only affects mIRC. I have used XChat and a couple browser-based IRC clients; none are affected. No other programs I am running are affected. Solid connections for games, music streaming, video, you name it. ONLY mIRC is affected.
5) I have tried UPnP on and off, changing mIRC ports, randomizing them, disabling firewalls and antivirus. Nothing works. This is, in my opinion, definitely a conflict with my new D-Link router.

So... that said... I'm gonna keep plugging away at it until I figure it out. If and when I do, I'll post here.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If it happens at exact intervals (8 minutes), then your best bet is to try and find out what is happening every 8 minutes. Your router shouldn't be doing anything itself, but maybe it has some feature that does something on a timer. Or, you might have some program or some option in Windows that is occurring every 8 minutes and is conflicting with that router somehow.

If you haven't already, try setting up the router using the instructions on http://www.portforward.com/ . Although you shouldn't have to set anything up for mIRC in order to chat (only for sending files or using DCC Chat), it wouldn't hurt to try.

If you do figure out what is causing the problem, please post it here to give others more things to try if they have this error.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
N
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
N
I also should've mentioned I've tried port forwarding; I even added my PC to the DMZ (complete firewall bypass) list, and that didn't help either.

I worked on it for a few more hours after my post, and eventually got fed up and just switched to the xChat WDK. I am not one to abandon a challenge, though, so I will continue to brainstorm it. It makes me sad to leave mIRC... I've been a registered user for almost a decade!! So, I'll be back. I might even send my new router back and get a different one. JUST FOR THIS REASON!!! laugh

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
While changing your router might resolve the problem, there is no guarantee of that.
I would like to suggest that, if you do get a replacement router (sounds like the one you have should still be under warranty), don't tell them that it's causing a 10053 error, as most people would just look at you and say "What's that?".

Instead, tell them that the router is breaking your internet connection on a regular (you can even tell them that it's every 8 minutes) basis. If you are dealing with a non-tech, which most of the returns people are, they'll understand that better.

B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
I get this 10053-error like every 10-15 minutes when I use the latest firmware for my router.

The router is Netgear WNDR3700.

The firmware is 1.0.6.98

With the previous firmware (1.0.4.68) everything is fine.

I contacted netgear-support about it.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Question/Problem: WSAECONNABORTED (10053) Software caused connection abort.

Answer/Solution: A connection abort was caused internal to your host machine. The software caused a connection abort because there is no space on the socket's queue and the socket cannot receive further connections.

WinSock description: The error can occur when the local network system aborts a connection. This would occur if WinSock aborts an established connection after data retransmission fails (receiver never acknowledges data sent on a datastream socket).

TCP/IP scenario: A connection will timeout if the local system doesn't receive an (ACK)nowledgement for data sent. It would also timeout if a (FIN)ish TCP packet is not ACK'd (and even if the FIN is ACK'd, it will eventually timeout if a FIN is not returned).

-------

The router's firmware has a bug causing it to send a proper response when it's ACK'd. I don't know why'd you'd ever think it would have to with port forwarding. Port Forwarding is necessary only when trying to listen for a remote connection on a host that is BEHIND the NAT. You never need it when establishing a connection.

I'd first turn UPnP support on the router too OFF. It does not matter if it's turned on or not in mIRC. But it should be disabled on the router. I won't go into detail but UPnP is typically the most common reason for connection issues.

Last edited by MeStinkBAD; 02/01/11 03:47 PM.

Beware of MeStinkBAD! He knows more than he actually does!
D
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
D
Originally Posted By: bwuser
I get this 10053-error like every 10-15 minutes when I use the latest firmware for my router.

The router is Netgear WNDR3700.

The firmware is 1.0.6.98

With the previous firmware (1.0.4.68) everything is fine.

I contacted netgear-support about it.

I have the exact same problem. Did the upgrade a few hours ago and my mIRC has gone all bonkers. No other software has been affected by this as far as i can tell.

Edit: After reverting back to the older firmware my mIRC works normally.

Last edited by Dwale; 03/01/11 10:27 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
In that case, the firmware is definitely the cause. It may have some form of bug or problem that only affects software that is sensitive to intermittent timeouts, such as mIRC. Other software may allow longer before being affected. I'm not sure if that is something mIRC can adjust. It might be worthwhile for anyone using that router to let the developers know about the problem in their latest firmware so that it can be fixed in the next release.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
C
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
C
After years using mIRC with no problems, I began getting this 10053 constantly. It happened with version 6.x or 7.x as soon as I got a D-Link DIR-601 router.

Modifying the following two settings solved the issue. Hope this helps someone.

Router setup page > Advanced > Firewall Settings > NAT Endpoint Filtering. Set both TCP and UDP to "Endpoint Independent".

From the D-Link help:

Endpoint Independent
Once a LAN-side application has created a connection through a specific port, the NAT will forward any incoming connection requests with the same port to the LAN-side application regardless of their origin. This is the least restrictive option, giving the best connectivity and allowing some applications (P2P applications in particular) to behave almost as if they are directly connected to the Internet.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard