Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#220981 04/05/10 12:45 PM
G
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
G
When sending messages that are longer than the server can handle, they're just cut off without the user knowing.
It would be easier if mIRC would behave like XChat on this behalf: automatically sending a second message to the channel/person with the rest.

If this is still unclear, here's an example (using a quote of Khaled himself smile ). 'Glowball' is on XChat, 'Glowball|7Beta' is on mIRC 7.02 Beta (obviously):

<Glowball|7Beta> Just to clarify: the main reason I implemented workarounds for Wine in the latest beta is that v7.x was crashing. My aim was to make mIRC runnable and usable under Wine, although I ended up implementing a number of workarounds for obvious issues, beyond the one particular issue that was causing mIRC to crash. Unfortunately I do not have the time to regularly test mIRC under Wine. As Wine developers would probably point out: it
<Glowball> Just to clarify: the main reason I implemented workarounds for Wine in the latest beta is that v7.x was crashing. My aim was to make mIRC runnable and usable under Wine, although I ended up implementing a number of workarounds for obvious issues, beyond the one particular issue that was causing mIRC to crash. Unfortunately I do not have the time to regularly test mIRC under Wine. As Wine develope
<Glowball> rs would probably point out: it should be Wine that is improved to work as closely as possible to Windows. Applications implementing workarounds is somewhat detrimental to the Wine project.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
There are "cut scripts" available to handle that, including one I wrote for someone. Also, keep in mind that chatting isn't meant to have people writing "books" to each other, but just typing relatively short messages.

Even so, I do think that having mIRC split long lines into multiple messages would probably be a good thing for a lot of people. It would definitely help with pasting.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC already has a bit of code that does this, however I decided not to enable it because in most of the tests I performed, eg. sending a long message of three full lines or more, I was disconnected from the server, and occasionally banned for flooding.

Obviously this will depend on the IRC server's policy, and whether the user has the Flood Protection option enabled in mIRC (which will delay the sending of each line), and so on.

However my feeling is that it will result in more disconnections, and more temporary bans due to flooding, of non-techie users who will be unaware of what has happened.

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Would it at least be possible to echo something that says the line was cut off after x characters or so? At least that doesn't leave people in the dark about wether or not everything got through... of course, it should be possible to disable this...

http://zowb.net

/server -m irc.p2p-network.net -j #zomgwtfbbq
(ssl on port 6697 and 7000)
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It would actually be easy to put that in yourself. The max number of characters is in one of the RAWs, but I'm not sure which one right now. It would just be a matter of putting a check in that RAW that checks $calc($len($1-) + $len($me) + $len($chan)) and if it's > the RAW value for max length, it will echo the warning.

Invision Support
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
Sure, it would be easy for people who are scripting, but most of us are already aware that this happens. The point is mostly those newbies that have no idea what's going on that might want something like this. :_)

http://zowb.net

/server -m irc.p2p-network.net -j #zomgwtfbbq
(ssl on port 6697 and 7000)
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That's why mIRC beeps if the line is too long. smile I don't think it checks the RAW to get the actual maximum length, but it's set to a value that should always be under the maximum length. So you should always get beeps before you reach the maximum line length for a network. Yes, a message would be easier to understand, but at the same time, the beeps warn you before you send so you can split your line before it gets chopped off rather than after.

Invision Support
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Could mIRC not just enable this if flood protection has been enabled? Otherwise a notice that the line was cut off (in the status) would be helpful, specifically to the non-tech users who don't get why the line was cut off.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC could warn users that their message -might- be cut off any time they send a message over 400 characters, however it is not possible for mIRC to know in advance whether the message will be cut off or not. The maximum message length is variable since it depends on a number of factors, such as the length of your nickname!userid@address (as seen by other users) and the target nick/channel name, both of which take away from the servers 512 characters limit per line (at least, that is what I am assuming).

I will add a "Split long outgoing messages" option to the Messages dailog in the next version and we can see how it works out. This option will split all outgoing PRIVMSG and NOTICE messages that are longer than 400 characters.

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Will it split by word or by character? I don't think cutt-
ing by characters is right, and it should definitely cut
the entire word which overlaps the 400 character limit
and place it on the next line.
[/example]

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It will split on word boundaries (only up to a few characters however, otherwise you could end up with one word per line), pass control codes across split lines, and handle utf-8 encodings.

I
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
I
Is there a function, or will you consider adding an option for one, that allows the command-line bar to expand down/upward when exceeding the width, so that you can easier see everything you've written instead of being forced to scroll back with the arrow-keys?

I (very) often write very long posts and everyone else on my network do too, so this function would not go to waste, if at all possible.

Last edited by IrinaWylder; 11/05/10 07:46 PM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
This feature has been present since v6.33:

mIRC Options > Display > Options > Editbox lines: Automatic

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
I
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
I
Thank you so much! I cannot believe I missed that, but I'm so happy that you could tell me where to find it! smile

D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
400 characters seems reasonable. However, what if we let it be user-defined?

CHECKBOX Split messages longer than [number field] characters up.
CHECKBOX Split messages up near [character field].
(Character field would actually be a number. 32 would indicate it would fall back in the sentence to a space and split it there.)
(Checkbox means it can be enabled or disabled. So, it wouldn't split it up near a specific character if it is unchecked.)
(I suggest keeping that space, or other character, in the previous line. A space can be safely removed, but if someone chooses a period or something else, it would look weird removed.)
Parse lines every [seconds field].
(3 seconds means it performs a 3 second delay before sending the next line. Control break would halt all of these. I would suggest limiting it from 0 seconds to 60 seconds.)

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Complicated much?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
Not really. How often do we end up seeing a person's message being cut off and we have to tell them where?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Rarely. smile

Usually only from people who are new to mIRC/IRC. There's no need for all of those settings. A simple setting dialog that has enable/disable and perhaps a number of characters is plenty.

Invision Support
D
Pan-dimensional mouse
Pan-dimensional mouse
D
A number of characters would be simple, but wouldn't it look odd to have it cut off mid-word?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
# of characters would be maximum number before splitting. mIRC will (and does now that it's included) cut lines at spaces whenever possible. Basically, if you set 400 characters and the 400th character was at the "x" in "maximum", it would split the line at the space before "maximum".

In any case, it works fine now, but I've disabled it because it was cutting stuff where I didn't want it to (not enough character) causing scripts I had that already split long lines to look wrong.

Invision Support
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard