mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Y
yakumo Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Y
I have no idea how this happened, and I couldn't say if it was cause mirc 7.02 or Firefox for sure, or both:

I just visited http://www.betanews.com/auth/login.php and clicked the username box to select my username from the drop down list - and every username from a forum irc channel I sit in was in the username dropdown.

I have never mass selected the users in that irc channel, I have never pasted their info into a website.

Each name in the dropdown is an individual, with no password, so it's not like a bunch of users were accidentally copied and pasted in when trying to log in one day, as that would have been taken as one user with a really long name.

I did not even have mirc running at the time! (this must have of course have happened at a previous time when I did, I didn't see it, and they've just been stored).

I'm sorry I know it's one of those things that may be 100% impossible to track down or replicate with such little info, but I had to report it, it totally blew my mind.

Last edited by yakumo; 05/05/10 01:29 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
My question is: did you report this as a potential Firefox bug on the Mozilla website as well? :-)

I cannot think of any way that this could happen.

I would guess that in order for Firefox to display that information in that listbox, you would need to have entered each nickname as a separate item in a form on a web page in Firefox at some point, and Firefox would need to have saved each item as form data, so that when you went to enter data in that form again later on, Firefox would list all previously entered items.

That is just a guess though. I am sure others here will be able to clarify how that process works.

Are you sure that you haven't been using a web based chat client?

Y
yakumo Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
Y
<sheepish look> I hadn't, I couldn't see how FF could get this info unless mirc had made it available to it.

I never use webchat systems, and I have noscript installed on firefox and allow very little through that.

I have posted the above on the mozillazine forum now though.

R
RRX Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
R
I've seen similar things occur in the past and over time. One example, when in the script editor, a listbox that suddenly appears in the middle and on top of the code, containing data from another running application, when moving the script editor window, it even followed. It had something to do with windows out of certain resources, because when seeing things like this, windows was on the brink of a reboot need, quite unresponsive despite low cpu usage, icons or whole toolbars that disappear, or for example a help window that has lost its treeview control with unability to restore it, shrinked windows and unable to drag them bigger.

Link Copied to Clipboard