mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
L
I have a list of files with different extensions in a custom window. Using a menu I can grab the filename and use /run to view the file e.g.
Code:
menu @window {
  dclick: {
    %file = $line(@window,$1,1)
    viewfile %file
} 

The viewfile alias could become quite long if I have to accommodate every file extension registered on the computer.
Code:
alias viewfile {
  %extension = $gettok($1,2,46)
  if %extension == txt { run notepad.exe $1 }
  if %extension == jpg { run thumbsplus.exe $1 }
  if %extension == mp3 { run winamp.exe $1 }
  etc
  etc
}
I would like to be able to doubleclick the file and have mirc invoke the correct program for viewing/playing/editing the file.
Any hints?

Regard the code above as pseudocode. I haven't tested it, but I hope you get the picture.

Cheers

-
Just because it never happened doesn't mean it isn't true.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As long as the file type extension is associated - in Windows - with the program you want to use then you can just use /run $1

L
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
L
hmmm .. but I don't want to use /run
Quote:
The viewfile alias could become quite long if I have to accommodate every file extension registered on the computer.

And what if the user of my script has a file association on her computer I know nothing about?

-
Just because it never happened doesn't mean it isn't true.
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Quote:
I would like to be able to doubleclick the file and have mirc invoke the correct program for viewing/playing/editing the file.
To me, the only "correct" program is the app associated with the file extension - /run <file>
Quote:
And what if the user of my script has a file association on her computer I know nothing about?
That is why you should not specify an app for /run, isn't it? Why exactly do you dislike using /run <file>?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Like Horstl said, you just type /run filename.ext . You don't have to specify the program to open it in. It will automatically open in whatever program the user has set up for that extension. If one person has .txt open in notepad and another has .txt open in wordpad, then /run will open text files in the program that they have selected.

You can just get rid of your alias and use the following:

run $line(@window,$1,1)

Though I would probably recommend using $qt() to handle any potential issues with spaces.

run $qt($line(@window,$1,1))

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard