mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
gooshie #218461 14/02/10 07:54 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Not to sidetrack the discussion, but mIRC runs more or less fine under Wine. There are some visual/aesthetic glitches like the nicklist not updating or displaying properly unless you activate it, but that's more a Wine issue than mIRC's fault. If you know any wine devs (or anyone who can help), I'd recommend convincing them to look into the issues.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #218760 24/02/10 07:41 AM
B
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
B
If you add them, please keep them disabled by default...

Blizzard.NL.EU.synIRC.Net
Khaled #218772 24/02/10 01:36 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Let's just leave them out altogether please.

Vogon poet
Vogon poet
I don't see the point of graphical emoticons really... seems to me as if the program tries to tell me I'm too stupid to understand what a colon followed by a close-parenthesis means...

On top of that, IRC is nice because it's 'simple' compared to most IM clients... And I think it should stay like that..

I for one like that IRC is, compared to most clients, a bit harder to use than MSN for example, because it weeds out the complete idiots and leaves us with a higher percentage of people that actually care to chat, rather than to spam emoticons and other pointless crap like that.

</rant>

http://zowb.net

/server -m irc.p2p-network.net -j #zomgwtfbbq
(ssl on port 6697 and 7000)
Excalibur #219709 26/03/10 02:12 AM
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
I'm using mirc in wine on fedora 12 now.. it's got a few issues.. text color in edit box doesn't work.. I just changed the edit box background color to compensate.. no biggie.. also.. text looks crappy.. like pixelated... but worse is switching to a new window the nicklist does not update until someone joins or leaves.. I hit F1 and it crashed..

gooshie #219713 26/03/10 03:30 AM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Please move this to another thread, it has nothing to do with the title, "Emoticons".

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
P
P
I feel your pain, and sometimes i think that its the colorful and animated emoticons are the things that keep chatters glued to their instant messengers.

#support #singles on server: ukchat.serveirc.com
Riamus2 #220755 23/04/10 07:01 AM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Whoa. Alot of text. No time to read it all wink

This is one of the key features I would really like to see in mIRC.
I can imagine not wanting this in, has to do with some fixed principles about how an IRC client should behave. However, don't forget, it's about the goal, not the means.

I would say, don't underestimate the power of emoticons and the desire of people to use them. I hang out on forums alot and it really has added value in terms of giving the communication a bit more of depth.

I think having emoticons in can really boost the popularity of mIRC and increase the user base. This in combination with full scripts, who can make it more usuable. Right now people are using easy-to-use sites like Mibbit instead of mIRC, because it may seem to complex to use.

My two cents.

P
p0d Offline
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
P
My opinion. There are dlls and scripts that enable the use of custom emoticons quit being lazy and find/or script one if thats what you want. Do a little searching for these addons.

Why not ask for protections, sockbots, or any other script to be put into the codebase ^_^ see my point?

mIRC is by far one of the most powerful/and useful programs on my pc theres not much you can't get mIRC todo beyond chats and in chats so Kudo's to Khaled for the many years of such a great program ive enjoy'd it the 10 years ive been online so thanks =)

But i agree if emoticons are implemented they should most definately be optional switches and should be able to customize these

p0d #220761 23/04/10 11:40 AM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Originally Posted By: p0d
My opinion. There are dlls and scripts that enable the use of custom emoticons quit being lazy and find/or script one if thats what you want. Do a little searching for these addons.

No need to get annoyed.
I did some extensive digging some time ago. There is nothing really practicle. For exampple, the HTML/Javascript solutions are annoying because of the 'browse' sound effects you hear each time there is a line of text. Or the popup windows not working.
Do you know a good alternative then?

Quote:

Why not ask for protections, sockbots, or any other script to be put into the codebase ^_^ see my point?

No, I don't agree.
You see it as a novelty feature, I see it as a possible core feature. If that feature would entail that it would allow us scripters to get the emoticon support in, no problem.

Quote:

mIRC is by far one of the most powerful/and useful programs on my pc theres not much you can't get mIRC todo beyond chats and in chats so Kudo's to Khaled for the many years of such a great program ive enjoy'd it the 10 years ive been online so thanks =)

Agreed!

Quote:

But i agree if emoticons are implemented they should most definately be optional switches and should be able to customize these

Agreed! smile

STING #221300 13/05/10 10:09 PM
P
p0d Offline
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
P
I sent a couple suggestions in private did'nt want to spam the board. Hopefully they help.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard