mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
R
I have two separate MIRC server windows open at the same time on my WinXP machine and everything works fine.

I cannot seem to configure a new Win7 machine to open two separate server windows even though I have loaded the MIRC software into separate directories. I want to click icon #1 on my desktop and have it open into server#1/cnannel whatever in window #1 and then click Icon #2 on my desktop and have it open on to server #2/channel whatever in window #2.

This must be doable but I cannot get it to work.

Last edited by Raven123; 20/04/10 03:25 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A) Do you know you can also do this in one copy of mIRC?

B) What are the full file paths for both mirc.exe files? If they are in a folder where Windows doesn't grant you full rights, then the $mircdir will default to the same path for both copies.
What does //echo -a $mircdir return for both copies?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You really have 2 options...

When running multiple copies, I prefer keeping all settings in the folder where the copy is located so it's easy to keep track of what files/settings/etc are for which copy of mIRC. To do that, just put mirc.ini into each of your install folders. This will cause mIRC to store all settings in the install folders instead of somewhere in your Users\ or Documents & Settings\ folder (depending on your version of Windows). If you need to find mirc.ini, type //run $mircdir (with both /'s) in mIRC and it will open the folder where it's currently stored. Then, just go to each install folder and right click on mirc.exe and choose Send To > Desktop (or Create Shortcut). Either of those will create a desktop shortcut. Rename the shortcuts to something that makes it easy to know which copy they link to.

Your other option is to use a switch in the shortcuts that tells it to use a specific mirc.ini file rather than sharing one. I can't remember the format of how that's done, but someone here will give it to you.

Once you have your shortcuts set up using either method, you can configure any of your options including channels/servers/performs/scripts/etc and the changes will only affect the copy that is running and not the other copy.

As a note, the only drawback from the way I prefer to set up multiple clients is that all of your Windows logins have the same settings if they are running the same copies of mIRC. If you do it the other way, it's still possible to run the same clients with different settings for each Windows login. So unless you have multiple logins on your computer and need different settings/scripts/etc for each login, the first way is just fine.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
OP Offline
R
A) I thought that it was possible but I do not know how to do it.

B) I have one MIRC copy loaded now. The programs are in c:\Program Files(x86). The MIRC is configured and works fine. This is MIRC #1. As far as I can tell I have permissioned the Program Files(x86) directory to allow anybody in the world to enter. Win7 makes it harder and harder to get into directories even if you are an administrator. However, the active mirc.ini file is located in the Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming Directory.
I have no clue why it defaults to that directory.

Any thoughts?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Raven123
A) I thought that it was possible but I do not know how to do it.

Look at /help /server
The -m switch creates a second server window.
Also in Options > Connect there is a checkbox for "New server window"

B) I have one MIRC copy loaded now. The programs are in c:\Program Files(x86). The MIRC is configured and works fine. This is MIRC #1. As far as I can tell I have permissioned the Program Files(x86) directory to allow anybody in the world to enter. Win7 makes it harder and harder to get into directories even if you are an administrator. However, the active mirc.ini file is located in the Users\Steve\AppData\Roaming Directory.
I have no clue why it defaults to that directory.

Any thoughts?

In Win7 you do not have access to the Program Files directory. Instead, Win7 uses the location AppData\Roaming when a program tries to write to that location.
So my initial assumption that both your mIRC copies are using the same mirc.ini file is probably correct.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
To have multiple servers on a single mIRC, join them using:

/server -m irc.server.net

You can set up your favorites (channels to join automatically) by network so the right channels are joined when connecting.

As for why it defaults to your Users directory, it's because it allows multiple Windows logins to each have their own settings without having to install multiple copies of mIRC. If you don't like that, you can move it to your install folder and it won't use the Users folder after that.

Invision Support
R
OP Offline
R
Yes , your assumption that both MIRC copies are using same mirc.ini file is correct.

The -m switch opens another window within the existing window ... I want two windows open simultaneously so I do not have to switch back and forth between windows. The New Server window check box opens the window within the existing window so that is not the answer. I think I need two MIRC icons on desktop to get two altogether separate windows.

If that is the case I must somehow get each MIRC installation in separate directories and have each mIRC window point at the correct directory to find it's own *.ini files. I don't know where to direct the MIRC loading program to locate the MIRC system programs so that the MIRC.exe file will point at the correct directory and avoid defaulting to the damn User/blahblah sub directory.

R
OP Offline
R
Your first answer seems to address the problem but I'm not quite clear on how to fix the issue after the mirc.ini file is dumped into the user/blahblah directory.

Win7 makes life harder than winXP due to their overly complex permissioning set-up

Last edited by Raven123; 20/04/10 06:59 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
...I want two windows open simultaneously so I do not have to switch back and forth between windows. The New Server window check box opens the window within the existing window so that is not the answer...

You could use the option to place the new server window on the desktop. This way you can still switch between them as if you were running two instance of mIRC.

R
OP Offline
R
OK ... how do I do that?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I believe that's -d with /server. Check /help /server to see.

As for the mirc.ini question you asked, just copy the file to each install folder. You *may* want to copy all of the files from there to each install folder depending if you have anything in your address book or whatever, but only the mirc.ini file is required.

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard