mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
F
I've been noticing this wierd issue where people who have been afk for a while say something during a conversation and right before they say it, mIRC will say that they have joined the channel. It is apparent that what they are saying is only something they could say if they've been watching the conversation and not if they have just joined the channel. It is odd but I have noticed it atleast half a dozen times already and I know that something is up. Does anyone else notice something like this occuring as well?

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
First you have to tell us what network this is on, and if you are using a BNC.

This could easily occur if you're using a bnc, and depending on the network, can occur there too. Also, any script can cause this behaviour.

I really doubt this is a bug in vanilla mIRC.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Most likely the channel you were in was in "delayed join" mode. Depending on the IRC server in question, the following link may be helpful: What channel modes are available on QuakeNet?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I also recall an oper mode on Unreal IRCd that allowed opers to join a channel hidden and remain hidden on that channel until they unset the mode or sent a channel message. As soon as they would send a channel message, the channel would receive the JOIN event.

~ Edit ~
Nevermind. I see after re-reading the OP that the user(s) were already seen on the channel.

F
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
F
Originally Posted By: Collective
Most likely the channel you were in was in "delayed join" mode. Depending on the IRC server in question, the following link may be helpful: What channel modes are available on QuakeNet?

Hrm thats interesting. Yes I'm on Quakenet, channel is #quakelive. I can't verify if it's using +D other than double clicking on the screen but that doesn't reveal special mode's on the chan in use. I'm assuming though that you're right and this is what I'm seeing because I don't recall it happening on other networks and I've only recently been active on quakenet. Kind of silly mode to have if you ask me, atleast as far as "until people speak", always throws me off. Must be the OCD in me.

Also, I am not using a BNC or script's other than a join and password script.

Last edited by flowrush; 30/03/10 04:16 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: flowrush
I can't verify if it's using +D other than double clicking on the screen but that doesn't reveal special mode's on the chan in use.

/mode #quakelive

Then check the status Window.

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Yeah I now recall UnderNet having that chan mode too.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yeah, undernet has it. I ran into that problem once when it got set accidentally. And even if you unset it, anyone in the channel who is "hidden" remains hidden until they either rejoin or type something. I think there's a way to force them to appear, but I forget what it is. Just removing the mode doesn't, though.

I guess that in some channels, it's nicer to not see everyone who's just idling. For example, an XDCC channel with thousands idling would probably be easier to work with if you didn't see those thousand names in the nicklist. I don't think it's much use in most channels, though.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Riamus2
I think there's a way to force them to appear, but I forget what it is.

I think it's: /names -d #channel

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?

Link Copied to Clipboard