mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
When you have the mIRC script editor in focus (it is not on the desktop) and that you change the active application (mIRC > firefox) and go back to mIRC again, the script editor loose the focus, this is annoying
I would like to see an option for the editor so that it keep the focus in this case.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
This is on win7, I can't reproduce this on window xp so it might be win7.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
This has been true since either mIRC 6.35 was released or perhaps one of the last couple of versions. Whether it's related to OS or not, I'm not sure, but I know it's been true since mIRC changed versions because I noticed it at that time. I mentioned it then too, but nothing was done to change that.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I can't reproduce this on win7, mIRC makes the script editor the active window here.

Also, why is this posted in feature suggestions?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Originally Posted By: argv0
Most likely Wims thought this "focusing behavior" was lost and would like it reinstated.

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
I'm making a suggestion since I don't consider this as a bug.
If you can't reproduce this on 7, it might not be os related, but I don't know why we don't have the same behavior.

Both 7 and xp are 32bit, and mIRC is 6.35 for me

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: argv0
I can't reproduce this on win7, mIRC makes the script editor the active window here.

Focus on script editor, ALT-TAB to something else or change to something else in another way, ALT-TAB (or whatever) back to mIRC. Try typing. You should now be typing in the edit bar instead of the script editor. As I said, I've seen this since one of the recent mIRC versions (I still think it was 6.35).

Invision Support
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
As I said, I've seen this since one of the recent mIRC versions (I still think it was 6.35).
Yeah, but I'm unable to reproduce it on my window xp with a clean install of mIRC 6.35 and argv0 stated (not sure he tried with a clean install) the same on win7

V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
I can't reproduce this on Windows 7 (x64) either.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: Wims
Yeah, but I'm unable to reproduce it on my window xp with a clean install of mIRC 6.35 and argv0 stated (not sure he tried with a clean install) the same on win7

In that case, it narrows it down to a settings change in either mIRC 6.35 or a recent version that causes it and which some people have set one way and some have set another way. For me, I saw it start happening as soon as mIRC was updated, so it's not some change in settings anywhere else. It would have to be a change in mIRC that either "conflicts" with some setting somewhere else in the system that didn't previously or else it's a setting in mIRC that can be changed allowing some people to experience it and others not to.

Invision Support
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
IMHO if this was changed without a note in versions.txt regarding the explicit behavioural change, I would consider it a bug.

When you mean "focus" do you mean focus in the editbox field of the script editor? Or just the window itself? The window reappears for me but the editbox is not active, if that's what you mean.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The editbox of the editor in focus like I was saying with my example of how to duplicate the behavior. I'm pretty sure that's what the OP was referring to as well. Basically, so that you can edit the script, tab over to something else (maybe the help file), tab back and continue editing without having to click on the script editor to do so.

Maybe "focus" isn't the best wording. Having the script editor Active after switch between programs if it was active before the switch.

Invision Support
W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
first, focus is on the mIRC script editor's editbox, where you write a code, then when you switch to another program and come back to mIRC, the focus is on the $active window's editbox.
This is what I get on win7.
On xp, focus didn't change, I'm still able to type a code.
Not sure if it is a bug, but the fact that the behavior is not the same for everyone is odd.

Last edited by Wims; 21/03/10 10:03 PM.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I am seeing intermittent behaviour on both XP and Windows 7. As far as I can tell, mIRC is not changing the focus when the main window is activated - it is left up to Windows to decide which window should be activated. I should be able to add a special check that resets the focus on the Script Editor if it was active when mIRC last lost focus. I'll see what I can do.

W
Wims Offline OP
Hoopy frood
OP Offline
Hoopy frood
W
Thank you wink

V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
I put the cursor in to the script editor, with the | flashing as if i was ready to type, I ALT + TAB to Firefox and then back to mIRC, the | isn't there to carry on typing with but the script editor is on top, or in focus. But if you do it by using your mouse to go to Firefox and back to mIRC, the | is still flashing ready to type. So it's only a key combo that does it.

Last edited by vexed2; 22/03/10 01:21 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard