Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
general comment to the thread:

1) I agree this could easily be implemented into mirc
2) there are scripting solutions

no arguments there at all. yes this IS a scripting heavy forum these days, but it wasnt always - or at least not as much. I don't feel "because it's so basic" should be a reason NOT to add something. I've never understood something (nor do I require an explanation mind you):

ALT + O --> IRC --> Options --> Timestamp events

That wasnt ALWAYS there and was added versions ago. Why not allow us to have a field that overrides the nick border like:

() Default () Custom [_] nickname [_]

If the dot was in CUSTOM, it would allow us to use what we want, if you choose DEFAULT, it would be the normal broders AND wouldnt break ANY scripts out there whatsoever (unless you overrode it, but then you're CHOOSING to and that's on you). Then, in that box was your character option (including blank). If the one was done VERSIONS age, why not this simple feature? it is perhaps THE most requested addition to mirc for YEARS now and always comes back.

From the versions file:

02/02/2000 - mIRC v5.7 - 19.The custom timestamp set in options dialog, messages section, is now used for time-stamping all messages/logs/etc.

Even tho it's been there earlier, this is from 2000, ten years ago....... it seems to me a very minor yet natural enhancement to mirc that just never made it

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Not to disagree with you, but custom timestamping is actually important as it allows those from countries that use different date formats to correctly display the date. Brackets on a nick are completely cosmetic.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Riamus2 #219511 20/03/10 08:51 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Cosmetic or not, this feature can be implemented but it's up to Khaled.

Tomao #219518 20/03/10 10:12 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Every feature can be implemented and is up to Khaled. Does this post really add anything to the discussion?

The problem with adding "purely cosmetic" features is that you can add hundreds of them and users will still ask for more. This is why mIRC is scriptable, so that K need not add a special editbox for every single character you want echo'd to your channel window. The two lines of code given on the previous page are more flexible than any option dialog could ever be, and are already implementable *now*. Why not just accept this and use it?

Would it work? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Is it simpler? If all you're changing is <> to [], maybe. But what if you want to change the way the nick prefix is displayed too? Another feature suggestion for another editbox to customize that? The scripts are short and are already available for you to copy paste and modify. How much simpler can it get?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Riamus2 #219549 21/03/10 07:43 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
oh, Im not discounting the importance of it, i'm saying it's been there for 10 years and nick bracketing hasn't even been an (built in) option. i cant imagine it would be too hard to implement such a field.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
Is there a chance of adding this into the client? Would really be nice to be able to customize the brackets around nicknames.

Chris 'DarkTexas' D.
Technical Administrator
ICQ-Chat IRC Services
http://icq-chat.com
DarkTexas #264028 21/10/18 04:56 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
My request is to export the entire strings table to an external file that people can then edit, enabling the creation of custom theme outputs (ie, choice of brackets) as well as language translations.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard