Print Thread
M
meh Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
Hi,

Recently I made my own server using IRCPlus. For some reason I had serious trouble connecting to it. I set all my settings perfectly. I was using port 6667, so I tried it on my other computer and it worked one time. Then I disconnected and reconnected again and it didn't work. It's like an on and off thing. I noticed now though that the same thing happens on other servers. It gives me connection refused errors for a long time then eventually it connects (maybe). The same thing happens with pretty much every server I try. Sometimes it doesn't ever connect and sometimes it does after about 10 tries. Does anyone know what the problem is? Any help would be great. Thanks.

PS: I've tried different ports and my firewall is turned off.

Last edited by meh; 14/03/10 06:59 PM.
E
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
E
Can you ping the servers period?

Is your ISP blocking your traffic on 6667?

Can you access it from another location? (ie have a friend try to connect)

Does your mIRC connect to anything on 6667?

Many questions, more details...

M
meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yes. I can ping the servers.

I don't know if my ISP is blocking that port, how would I even find out? I don't think that's the problem because I've tried it on 666 and 7000.

I'll try to see if I can get a friend to connect.

Yes it does connect on 6667 sometimes. On the times it happens to work for whatever reason

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
So that you know, you're always going to have better luck finding someone who can help you if you use a forum that is for whatever you need help on. You said that you set up your own server. There's a good chance, it's related to that, so you're better off asking on the forum for that server software as few (if any) here know much about that software. Unless you can't connect to other networks, it's not likely mIRC related.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
M
meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I'm not having any better luck with other servers. They fail to connect in the same way, they may work they may not. It's no different then on my server so I think it isn't really my or mIRC's fault. It's probably something related to my internet or something. I changed my MAC address recently. I guess that could be related. I've searched everywhere else and asked in a lot of places but can't find any info on this problem. There seems to be no solution, I guess I'm just looking for any possible problems or things that could be going wrong. Does anyone have any clue?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If it's the same for other networks, then let's drop talk about yours and list a few others that aren't working-- show both the connecting to and refused messages for a few different networks. That helps us to know what servers and ports to check into.

As far as you MAC address, that is unlikely the problem. If you can connect at all (that includes web browsing), then your MAC address settings should be correct. If anything, you are blocking a port or set of ports through a router or firewall even though you normally don't need to forward any ports to connect.

Invision Support
M
meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Ok, here's some output from attempted connection to other servers, most of these are in the server select thing in mIRC:

Code:
* Connecting to irc.absurd-irc.net (7000)
-
* Unable to connect to server (Connection refused)
-
* Connect retry #1 irc.absurd-irc.net (7000)
-
-
* Connect cancelled

Code:
* Connecting to irc.afternet.org (6667)
-
-
* Connect cancelled

Code:
* Connecting to irc.phazenet.com (7000)
-
-
* Connect cancelled

I did have luck with irc.global-irc.com(port 6666) but right after I connected I got disconnected for no reason with the same connection refused error. Also in reply to the firewall thing, I don't even have an anti-virus, I disabled windows firewall and windows defender. I also did the /firewall off command in mIRC.

Last edited by meh; 15/03/10 01:41 AM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Well, phazenet won't connect here using port 7000 either, so that's a port issue on that network (or a server on that network). The others I can connect to using those specific ports. You might try specifying different ports and see if you find any that work for one of those networks.

For example:
/server irc.afternet.org 6667

Just replace the port with another common port and see if any work for you on that one network. Beyond that, since you have the firewall off, it could be your router settings or your ISP trying to block IRC but not doing a complete job of it.

Invision Support
M
meh Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I tried it with different ports and it didn't work that way. Well, thanks for all the help you've given me. I guess I'll call up my ISP tomorrow and try to get some information about this from them. Thanks again and if you have any ideas in mind that you haven't suggested already I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Link Copied to Clipboard