Print Thread
#216622 22/11/09 10:21 PM
C
ch7 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
I'm have some difficulty running 2 copies of mIRC on Windows 7.

I would like them both to be on the same machine under the same user but need them to load different scripts and both have different settings.

Could someone please give me a step by step guide on how to do this.

Thanks in advance

ch7

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Make a shortcut to the mIRC.exe and include the -i switch and the path to the mirc.ini file for each occurrence other than the default. You could also include it for the default if you wanted.

C
ch7 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
I tried that and it still loads up my default one.

What I have done. gone to %appdata% copied the folder "mIRC" to "mIRC2" so there are 2 of them.

edited the mirc.ini in "mIRC2" to change nicks etc.

added the shortcut using the -i to new mirc.ini and it still works as the previous one.

X
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
X
Just go to C:/Program Files/mIRC and copy mIRC.exe from there. Place it in new folder and it should work.

C
ch7 Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
C
That worked laugh

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
If you want to run multiple copies of mirc at the same using this method where you copy and paste a mirc.exe to a new directory and run it from there, be sure to put mirc.ini in the same directory as the mirc.exe or it will use the default path for mirc.ini.

T
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
T
I'm having a similar but opposite problem currently smirk

When opening 2 different irc://irc* links I will get 2 different copies of mIRC opening. I want mIRC to only have 1 instance running, i.e. with multiple channels opened on the same mIRC client.... how in the world did i get this to happen and how do I change it back :(:(:(

E
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
E
Hi all,

First of all, sorry for the bump, but i think the subject of my post is perfectly fit to this topic, so i decided not to create a new one in the same subject.

Well, and now my question, for what i wasnt able to find any answers throughout the whole internet:

Id like to note, that im not a tard or something grin , i red, that the solution for running multiple instances of mIRC is to use different mirc.exe's from different folders, which containes the proper mirc.ini files, BUT,

what, if id like to use the same mirc.exe from the same folder, but with different folders, containig the proper mirc.ini's.
In one word, id like to use this method.

Following that method, i tried everything, but i still dont understand, why -i switch doesnt work anymore... crazy

Any helps would be very welcome. wink

Btw. a small list of the mIRC's command line parameters would be very handy too. wink

Regards,
Executioner

EDIT: i forgot to say that i use XP Pro.

Last edited by Executioner; 07/03/10 09:04 PM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
E
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
E
Dear starbucks_mafia,

Thanks a lot for your help smile , but the -r switch is only recreating the default files in the folder of mirc.exe.
Nevertheless, you gave me an idea wink , cause i figured out in a post, under the link you gave me, that between the switch (-i) and the path "\\mirc.ini" should not be any type of separator (space).
I must note, that i never saw any of the solution like this grin , but this way the -i switch is finally working. wink

So, thanks again for your help. smile

Regards,
Executioner

E
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
E
OMG! mad

Like usually, i already thought, finally everything is fine, but after solving an old problem, it appeared an other one... frown
Yes, the -i switch is working fine that way, what i described above and mirc.exe follows the actual mirc.ini to its proper folder, BUT... shocked
...though the $mircini containes the right path (e.g. %AppData\mIRC_custom), the $mircdir still containes the default path (e.g. %AppData\mIRC). mad
This causes, that mirc will search after the files, which will be called, or are linked from the secondary .ini, in the default path and not in the path of the secondary .ini. OMG! frown

So, id like to ask you guys to help me, cause i dont know, thats a bug of mirc, which maybe will be solved in the future releases, or is there a trick, which is able to solve this problem.
Yes, i know, maybe i should add the full path to all of the file calls in mirc.ini (e.g. scripts, logs, servers.ini, aliases.ini, etc.), which should work, but what about the file actions inside a script?
No, i guess, it would be very uncomfortable to use this method in each scriptfiles.

Well, if theres a solution for this, please let me know about it.
Thanks in advance. smile

Regards,
Executioner

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
This is why I suggested you use the -r switch, which changes mIRC's root directory (ie. $mircdir).

You can set it to anywhere you want by specifying a directory with the -r switch. For example:
mirc.exe -r"C:\Somedirectory\mIRC2"

Note: mIRC will only create at most one new directory so if you set the new config directory to something like -r"C:\Users\Me\[color:red]New Directory\And Another\Blah"[/color] mIRC will fail to create the new directory and default back to the usual location.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
B
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
B
I am running Vista ultimate. I have tried making copy of directory. I changed the permissions of mirc.exe and mirc.ini in both folders. Tried to install in one directory. Changed it to the new directory. Installed again in the normal directory. Changed in both user and program directors. Did copy the mirc.ini to both directors.

Link Copied to Clipboard