mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#218062 31/01/10 06:00 PM
W
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
W
[b][/b]hello i just got a new comp with windows 7 i DL and installed mIRC but when i click to join the chat room the mIRC chat window does not pop up...everything disappears and says im missing a componnent...i was told tho..it showed me in the chatroom......is there an mIRC program comppatible withj windows 7???? thank you for ur time

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC is compatible with Windows 7 already. If it says it's missing some component, your best bet is to copy/paste the actual error message here because otherwise the chance of anyone figuring out what your problem is is not very likely.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
mIRC v6.35 works fine with Windows 7, I cannot think of any reason why it would run and then suddenly disappear when you try to join a channel.

Are you using any scripts or addons?

Are you using anti-virus/firewall software? That might be the cause of the issue since some of them sometimes incorrectly think mIRC is a trojan/virus and may delete and/or terminate mIRC without telling you.

The warning from Windows 7 about Microsoft Agent support is a known issue (it is in fact a Windows 7 issue) and has no effect on the way mIRC works.

W
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
W
ty for your reply...i will try and see if I can get that error message that comes up...and ccp it in here....again ty

G
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
G
The missing component is Microsoft Agent that is used in the mirc code.
As of Windows 7 MS no longer support this and do not ship the code with Windows 7.
If you run the compatibilty checker on mirc it will refer you to an MS site where you can download Agent but this is totally unsupported by MS.

Last edited by Gilgamesh_aus; 05/02/10 11:36 AM.
F
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
F
mIRC 6.35 works fine for me on Windows 7 (along with every other person I know who has windows7).

Did you dl directly from mirc site? Have you tried re-downloading and re-installing with your antivirus or firewall off?

Are you fully updated with Windows 7 as well?

Have you scanned your pc for viruses?

Last edited by flowrush; 20/02/10 04:32 PM.
I
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
I
Originally Posted By: Gilgamesh_aus
The missing component is Microsoft Agent that is used in the mirc code.
As of Windows 7 MS no longer support this and do not ship the code with Windows 7.
If you run the compatibilty checker on mirc it will refer you to an MS site where you can download Agent but this is totally unsupported by MS.

This is a known bug. Not by MIRC but with WIN7. It's mentioned elsewhere on the forum. When you close MIRC and the box comes up you click the program runs fine option and it wont come up again.

6 months and MS has not fixed it. Maybe they expect MIRC to fudge the code, i dunno.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
The agents issue is not a Windows bug. It's not really a "bug" at all-- it is exactly what it is: a compatibility notification.

If you read the dialog it tells you there is a compatibility issue with mIRC regarding Agents support which Microsoft removed from Windows 7. The dialog is accurate, nothing buggy about it. It also tells you, IIRC, that you can install Agents manually to get back this functionality, though no longer supported by Microsoft.

Microsoft did nothing wrong here-- neither did mIRC-- it's simply a symptom of mIRC not yet being updated for Win7, which will happen soon.

Note again that this dialog goes away after you click ok the first time- making it simply a notification, and a very minor one.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard