mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
G
G_Flex Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
G
It seems that, when I have Unicode characters in my nick, mIRC sometimes has problems displaying it - but only when I use certain aliases.

This works:
/shrug /say Hello there

This does not work:
/shrug /say ¯\(°_o)/¯

However, simply saying "¯\(°_o)/¯" works fine.

To illustrate the difference:

It should be: [01:21:18] <G&#1161;-Flex> ¯\(°_o)/¯
It is: [01:17:36] <GÒ‰-Flex> ¯\(°_o)/¯

(in the first example, the second char in the nick is a combining diacritic so it might not display properly in the browser anyway. At any rate, it shouldn't be a capital "O" with an accent followed by the percentage sign, that's for sure)

As a side-note, the combining diacritic also doesn't display properly in channel/chat buttons (the character is displayed, but in sequence with the others instead of combining), but that's obviously a lesser issue.

EDIT: The combining diacritic isn't really combining in this post either (at least not on my browser), but you get the point.

Last edited by G_Flex; 11/02/10 06:25 AM.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
The character combination works for me. There's no problem for me at all using it as an alias. However, I do see the difference in the nicks from my browser.

If you enter
Code:
//echo $utfdecode(GÒ‰-Flex)
in your mirc, it will give you G&#1161;-Flex

Edit - you are right. I misunderstood you. I know one way to get around that matter is to use:
Code:
/shrug /say $utfencode(¯\(°_o)/¯)

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
It shows fine here (unicode that appears as an O made of of "dots").

In any case, currently unicode is only partially supported and you will often have to use $utfencode() in order to get some things to display correctly. This happens mainly when specific characters are used in combination with unicode characters. I forget the exact characters that cause this effect, but it's something like $chr(127) to $chr(255). Your degree symbol and overline (¯) are the likely culprits in your example. If you remove them, you probably won't have a problem anymore. Of course, that does ruin your "art" ... much easier just to $utfencode() it in the alias. I believe the reason for this is that those characters aren't technically supported in unicode and you can't mix unicode and non-unicode, so mIRC chooses to display it all as ascii if anything that isn't supported in unicode is on the line. $utfencode() gets around this.

That said, the next version of mIRC will support unicode and you shouldn't have this issue anymore if you upgrade to the new version when it comes out.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard