Print Thread
#216915 07/12/09 02:19 AM
M
Mitz Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
M
How do you PERMANANTLY lock your logged files?!? I want my files logged, but dont want other users to be able to just change my settings to 'log none', rather than ' log both'. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks! :-)

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
There is a Lock Logged Files checkbox in mIRC Options -> IRC -> Logging

While technically this won't stop someone that has access to your computer from changing that setting, you could also put a password onto mIRC and minimize it to the tray.

This would then require anyone that wants to bring mIRC open from the tray to enter the password first.

If other users of your computer also use mIRC, you should set them up with their own user accounts on your computer, thus enabling them to run mIRC with their personalized settings and without affecting yours.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
In addition to what Russel said, it should be pointed out that the security provided by mIRC's "lock" setting is very superficial. Anyone could kill the mIRC task and modify the config files / registry settings if they have full access to your user account on the machine.

The proper way to do this is to, as Russel said, make separate user accounts. This will keep *all* of your applications secure, not just mIRC, so you won't need to do anything special on an app-by-app basis.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard