Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
hi every one ^__^

I have to apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where the topic of my problem can be fitted. hope you forgive me and bear with me.

my problem regarding IRC may looks kind of lame blush since I am a total newbie regarding this software, but please help me if you can! *bows*

My OS is windows XP professional x64 edition and my mIRC is v6.21. a few days ago while I was looking around my IRC menus, I checked the script editor section out of curiosity ( since I don't know any thing about scripts or how to write or use those but I had heard so much about how much those can be useful and etc).
during searching around it I am afraid that I might have deleted/changed some words or symbols accidentally in my Script editor/Remote section. eek
you can imagine how much I was scared when I realized all kind of hackers, trojans and viruses can find their way to my PC through this stupid mistake! cry
Now I would like to know, if I uninstall my current mIRC and install the latest version later, could it fix this security problem? can I use my IRC later without being worried about security problems regarding remote script?

and if it is possible I wish to know when scripts like Remote do start to perform their actions? since I have heard those are Event handlers and just meant to respond when you request or perform a command.

P.S: later I connected through mIRC for a few minutes without joining any channel or accepting any DCC chat or get file request. is it possible the remote script has been activated during this time and probably sending virus or letting any hacker to take control over my PC?

thanks so much for your time and attention in advance!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you deleted any word from your file and pressed the "OK" button then the file has changed with the deleted part with this i can't help you but check into your folder maybe you have only UNLOADED and not deleted because you said you don't know very well about scripts. If the file exists try using the /load command for more write (/help /load) in mIRC.

Now in the second that you said to take over your PC from mIRC, I am not very sure and i haven't see it since now that but i know if you have not any FIREWALL installed into your computer then a HACKER could be insert into your system and take over your PC, Also if you have not installed any FIREWALL and you don't want to, just disable the DCC from the "mIRC options" click on the "DCC" section and dislable it!

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
The chance that the change you've made could help a hacker are zero.
Quote:
Now I would like to know, if I uninstall my current mIRC and install the latest version later, could it fix this security problem? can I use my IRC later without being worried about security problems regarding remote script?
The only problem you have now is that you have a script that probably don't work as it should since you changed it

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
Originally Posted By: westor
If you deleted any word from your file and pressed the "OK" button then the file has changed with the deleted part with this i can't help you but check into your folder maybe you have only UNLOADED and not deleted because you said you don't know very well about scripts. If the file exists try using the /load command for more write (/help /load) in mIRC.

Now in the second that you said to take over your PC from mIRC, I am not very sure and i haven't see it since now that but i know if you have not any FIREWALL installed into your computer then a HACKER could be insert into your system and take over your PC, Also if you have not installed any FIREWALL and you don't want to, just disable the DCC from the "mIRC options" click on the "DCC" section and dislable it!

thank you so much for your reply dear westor. ^^

you know I am not quite sure did I click the OK button or not and that's why I am this scared about accidentally changing the remote script. eek I read some people can have total control on your PC and files if you let them through adding a line of a particular command to the remote script. they can send virus or trojan to your system or even have control on your hard drives and etc. and may I ask which folder should I look into? I checked my IRC folder and I just found log files from chats and uploaded files. is there a log file which can let you know your script has changed?

about firewalls, my windows firewall is off but I have an updated/registered version of NOD32 which includes fire wall, anti spyware and anti virus. it works pretty good but since this is the first time I have such a problem, I wonder if some one tries to hack my system through IRC, can NOD32 catch it? :-s and if I disable my DCC then does it mean even if my remote script has changed, yet no one can sent a file to me or find a way to hack my system?

I am so sorry if I asked too many repetitive or probably obvious questions. to be honest I am not planing to use scripts right now, those look difficult and I am just a newbie regarding IRC and still learning about it. all I want is to keep my system secure and safe. if I know by reinstalling mIRC I can stop hackers from accessing my PC I would do it without hesitation.

K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
Originally Posted By: Wims
The chance that the change you've made could help a hacker are zero.
Quote:
The only problem you have now is that you have a script that probably don't work as it should since you changed it

really? does it mean no security problems may happens due to my possible mistake?

then it means if I reinstall IRC, every thing goes back to normal?

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Quote:
really? does it mean no security problems may happens due to my possible mistake?
Without knowing the change, it's impossible to answer yes/no for sure.
Reinstalling mirc won't resolve the problem if you still use the modified file, you have to find the original file (someone that use the same script for ex, or just download the script again), unload the modified file, and load (same position if possible) the original file.

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
If you reinstall mIRC, you're reinstalling the default scripts.
As mIRC scripts allow for a great many things, custom scripts (i.e. scripts made by you or other users) may be a security issue (...you have to either review the code yourself or trust a source/review). This does not apply to the default scripts (i.e. vanilla mIRC), even if you accidentally removed some part of it, as they don't contain "sensitive" commands.

Last edited by Horstl; 28/11/09 10:57 PM.
K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
Quote:
Without knowing the change, it's impossible to answer yes/no for sure.
Reinstalling mirc won't resolve the problem if you still use the modified file, you have to find the original file (someone that use the same script for ex, or just download the script again), unload the modified file, and load (same position if possible) the original file.

thank you so much for your reply dear Wims.

I think I am beginning to understand how scripts works in IRC. actually I didn't download any script from any where neither I received any script file from any one. (even if I receive a script I am too slow to understand how it work so I will never dare to use it blush ) as I said I was just looking around my IRC and opened the script editor and found a long, big list of symbols and words in the remote section. that script was there before I click on the menu. was it one of the default scripts of IRC then?

K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
Originally Posted By: Horstl
If you reinstall mIRC, you're reinstalling the default scripts.
As mIRC scripts allow for a great many things, custom scripts (i.e. scripts made by you or other users) may be a security issue (...you have to either review the code yourself or trust a source/review). This does not apply to the default scripts (i.e. vanilla mIRC), even if you accidentally removed some part of it, as they don't contain "sensitive" commands.

thank you so much dear Horstl, your reply really helped me to feel better, at least now I know editing default scripts don't cause a security threat, thanks so much once again!

I am sure the script I saw was not made by me (I couldn't write a script even if I wanted to!) neither I have uploaded a script file before to add to my IRC. it was there when I clicked the menu and checked the remote section and after checking half of it, it seemed so complicated to me that closed the window. :-s

and I have a question if you don't mind: when people add custom scripts to their IRC, if they uninstall the mIRC, they will lose the script and later should add that script to their new IRC again?

and is there a log file to show your scripts has been edited?

so sorry that I am troubling you with all these question I know I still have a lot to learn about IRC blush

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
If you didn't installed any script, just downloaded mIRC from here (mirc.com) and use it, then yes, you probably have changed the default script and reinstalling mIRC will solve the problem

K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
If you didn't installed any script, just downloaded mIRC from here (mirc.com) and use it, then yes, you probably have changed the default script and reinstalling mIRC will solve the problem

that's so great! ^^ thanks so much once again ! *hugs*

if you don't mind may I ask is there a log file which shows changes/editings which have happened in scripts?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Not by default. You can set the script editor to keep a backup copy of the file you are currently editing, but it only keeps one backup copy. File has the same name as the file you are editing, but has a .bak extension.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: kawaiakuma

thank you so much for your reply dear westor. ^^

you know I am not quite sure did I click the OK button or not and that's why I am this scared about accidentally changing the remote script. eek I read some people can have total control on your PC and files if you let them through adding a line of a particular command to the remote script. they can send virus or trojan to your system or even have control on your hard drives and etc. and may I ask which folder should I look into? I checked my IRC folder and I just found log files from chats and uploaded files. is there a log file which can let you know your script has changed?

about firewalls, my windows firewall is off but I have an updated/registered version of NOD32 which includes fire wall, anti spyware and anti virus. it works pretty good but since this is the first time I have such a problem, I wonder if some one tries to hack my system through IRC, can NOD32 catch it? :-s and if I disable my DCC then does it mean even if my remote script has changed, yet no one can sent a file to me or find a way to hack my system?

I am so sorry if I asked too many repetitive or probably obvious questions. to be honest I am not planing to use scripts right now, those look difficult and I am just a newbie regarding IRC and still learning about it. all I want is to keep my system secure and safe. if I know by reinstalling mIRC I can stop hackers from accessing my PC I would do it without hesitation.

First i don't know if NOD32 protect the mIRC with their firewall but i know that there are many scripts or remotes that can delete files or give someone access to insert into your system, now i told you my opinion to do, And i am not sure that if anyone want to insert into your system to use the mIRC, it is very difficult but for someone who knows very well it is easy. Anyway just disable your DCC and have one GOOD firewall installed into your PC and you will be safe, If you want my opinion try to use one good firewall (ZONEALARM) i heard very much about this program and is good!, Also if you disable your DCC then noone can send you any file i thing this is good!

EDIT: Check this remote about BACKING UP your remotes.

Last edited by westor; 29/11/09 12:57 PM.

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
Originally Posted By: RusselB
Not by default. You can set the script editor to keep a backup copy of the file you are currently editing, but it only keeps one backup copy. File has the same name as the file you are editing, but has a .bak extension.

thanks so much dear RusselB. ^^ I'm definitely going to use this back up option.

K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K

First i don't know if NOD32 protect the mIRC with their firewall but i know that there are many scripts or remotes that can delete files or give someone access to insert into your system, now i told you my opinion to do, And i am not sure that if anyone want to insert into your system to use the mIRC, it is very difficult but for someone who knows very well it is easy. Anyway just disable your DCC and have one GOOD firewall installed into your PC and you will be safe, If you want my opinion try to use one good firewall (ZONEALARM) i heard very much about this program and is good!, Also if you disable your DCC then noone can send you any file i thing this is good!

EDIT: Check this remote about BACKING UP your remotes.

oh so it means if chat request and get files request section in IRC option is disabled then even if my scripts allow potential hackers to find their way to my folder/files and PC through using remote commands, it won't be possible for them to be connected to my IRC and do as they want?

I used your advice and disabled chat and get file request in my DCC. also adjusted NOD32 in a way it scans and monitors IRC when it is connected. I think it should be safe for now, right? ^^

thanks so much for your great advices and also the link for backing up scripts dear westor. *hugs* I am reading through the posts there right now, trying to learn more blush

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
Sorry to intervene, but "expoits" and "security risks" aren't limited to DCC send/get. To put it different: stating you're safe as DCC had been disabled is plain wrong. smile

Malicious scripts are able to do virtually as much "bad things" as any other malicious piece of software could do: manipulate/corrupt/delete local files, collect sensitive data, send/get files/data without your knowledge, what have you.
This doesn't mean most mIRC scripts are potentially dangerous or even written with bad faith. It simply means scripts can be powerful tools - for a lot of uses and, sadly, abuses.
You should treat unknown scripts the way you would treat a unknown application: don't load them if you cannot verify they derive from a trustworthy source. Also don't load what you don't need. You wouldn't doubleclick that "unknown.exe" either, would you? crazy The same goes for unknown commands: don't type something just because someone told you to.

That said, You can never have 100% safety. Though if you follow the above and generally known safety measures (up-to-date antivirus software etc pp), you don't have to fear mIRC more than, say, your web browser.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
For 100% internet related safety, don't connect to the internet.
If you don't get on the internet, then someone can't harm you.. then again, if you're reading this then it may already be too late.

K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
Originally Posted By: Horstl
Sorry to intervene, but "expoits" and "security risks" aren't limited to DCC send/get. To put it different: stating you're safe as DCC had been disabled is plain wrong. smile

Malicious scripts are able to do virtually as much "bad things" as any other malicious piece of software could do: manipulate/corrupt/delete local files, collect sensitive data, send/get files/data without your knowledge, what have you.
This doesn't mean most mIRC scripts are potentially dangerous or even written with bad faith. It simply means scripts can be powerful tools - for a lot of uses and, sadly, abuses.
You should treat unknown scripts the way you would treat a unknown application: don't load them if you cannot verify they derive from a trustworthy source. Also don't load what you don't need. You wouldn't doubleclick that "unknown.exe" either, would you? crazy The same goes for unknown commands: don't type something just because someone told you to.

That said, You can never have 100% safety. Though if you follow the above and generally known safety measures (up-to-date antivirus software etc pp), you don't have to fear mIRC more than, say, your web browser.

your are totally right. I understand that scripts can do many things without my knowledge and permission crazy that's why i was so freaked out. but I I have a question if you don't mind: practically for sending some suspicious file or stealing/corrupting/deleting local drives, they should first pass through IRC configuration, right? confused because they are using this chat IRC software to make a connection with the target's computer. I am no expert and I don't know much about IRC but it seems logical that if IRC prevents them from sending/receiving files, then they won't be able to reach to my PC (because their request for connecting is ignored), even if script has some suspicious codes. but I might be wrong if a script can be that powerful to ignore IRC configuration options or even worse, lets some unknown individual changes the configuration ... eek

K
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
K
Originally Posted By: RusselB
For 100% internet related safety, don't connect to the internet.
If you don't get on the internet, then someone can't harm you.. then again, if you're reading this then it may already be too late.

so true! grin

H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
A mIRC script could possibly send/receive data by other means (for example via sockets), that is: regardless of your DCC settings.

Because most users are not able to evaluate a mIRC script on their own, they can only rely on trusted users/websites. Yet it's your decision to load a certain script smile If you decide to load it, you're giving "your permission" to do <whatever it was set to do>, so to speak. Every script requires to be loaded at least once, everything after that may be automated and run in the backround.
Also note that while you can lock some of the most potent/dangerous commands at "options -> other -> lock", this does not relieve you from the aforementioned responsibilities. It's a good idea to have these commands locked unless necessary though. A lot of scripts won't require them, others may not work without them (and a "good" script will inform you if you have to unlock a command, and why this is required).

In other words, you cannot achieve safety with "correct mIRC settings" or by blocking/disabling this and that - you have to use your wits, or reject scripts generally. Every command with a possible abuse was made for a certain use - mIRC cannot tell them apart smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard