Hi mIRC friends,

the services used on an IRC network I connect to allow me to auto-identify via client certificate fingerprint.

Using OpenSSL I have created two pairs of key and cer files, then I combined each pair to a single pem file.

One with an unencrypted and one with an encrypted key.

In mIRC's SSL options, I selected the pem file with the unencrypted key as "Private key file" and "Certificate chain file".

I connected to the IRC server and it recognizes and displays my client certificate fingerprint. After adding it to my access list and reconnecting, it then successfully auto-identified me.

So far, so good. Especially considering that I'm not really familiar with all this.

Then I tried selected the pem file with the encrypted key. As "Private key file" and "Certificate chain file", again.

Upon trying to connect to the IRC server, mIRC prompts me for the key's password. I enter it and mIRC connects to the server.

But apparently. my client certificate isn't sent or recognized correctly if the key is encrypted, it's just as if I wasn't using any client certificate.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

Is there any way to get this to work with an encrypted key or am I forced to use an unencrypted one instead?

Please let me know if you need further information on how I created the keys and certificates, with an unencrypted key it works perfectly fine though.