mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
T
todds Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
T
You can look at this more as a difficulty in the current behavior of mIRC, or possibly a bug. This idea or problem is with Perform on connect, and being set per network and server. The perform on connect command I have entered is for "networkx" and it uses networkx.com to connect, however networkx discontinued service and is now forwarding traffic to "networka" - in this case networkx is no longer advertised as the network and networkx.com is no longer the server name, however mIRC still sends the perform on connect commands as if it were connecting to networkx. This is sort of a security problem actually, as one might send passwords and other information to the new server and that information can be intercepted by untrusted people. It would be a good idea that mIRC only perform the on connect commands if the server it connects to has the proper identification the server connect process (network name and irc server names).

What say you?

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
In my opinion, the info that you choose to send to a server is your business and not mirc. Did you remove networkx from the server list?

This is akin to logging into facebook with your hotmail information and being upset with your browser for letting you.

Or maybe I do not understand your issue fully.

It is up to you to manage your information safely. mIRC only takes that information and uses it when connecting to the server you specify.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Sounds pretty impossible to me. There is no way you can get "proper identification" from a host or network name, since the servers can supply whatever information they want (especially since any host could theoretically be associated with any network at any time).

The internet is full of lies and deception, IRC is not alone. You need to trust the hosts you connect to.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
T
todds Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Well here's what mIRC does improperly. You connect to an address or network group that has been entered into mIRC's server database, and mIRC will erroneously and automatically still run the perform on connect commands from the options dialog, even though the network name and name of the server doesn't match.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
The network name of a network and his server name isn't related.

If you have two different server giving the same network name whereas this two server isn't part of the same network, it's completely your problem since you know mirc is performing command according to the network name.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
T
todds Offline OP
OP Offline
T
No, this is a problem with mIRC sending commands when a different network is detected. mIRC detects the network and server name on connect. It shouldn't matter how I connect to a server or what DNS or IP I use, what matters is what the server reports during the connect process. In this case mIRC is ignoring that and using what you typed in the /server command instead. That sounds like an error to me if it's issues these commands on the wrong network and IRC server, that isn't even in the database.

Link Copied to Clipboard