Print Thread
#215332 11/09/09 10:36 PM
C
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
C
Hi all,
I used to use mIRC a loooong time ago and wondered if anyone remembers a guy called Dan who created the aptly names 'Dans mIRC'?

Great to see you still going strong.

cyberdyne #215333 12/09/09 01:01 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
To my knowledge, the only person that could legally put their name in front of mIRC, is Khaled, as he is the owner of the program.

Thus if someone named Dan tried to send out a program called "Dan's mIRC", I suspect that there maybe a copyright infringement battle possible.

Next, I personally know about 40 different people all named Dan that use mIRC, and there's probably a lot more, thus trying to identify a single person by the term "Dan's mIRC" is, at best, improbable.. at worst, impossible.

RusselB #215867 11/10/09 10:29 PM
C
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
C
Sorry I asked and thanks for the warm welcome.

cyberdyne #215869 12/10/09 02:19 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I never heard of the term 'Dan's mIRC' before in my life. I don't think it exists 'cause it ain't happenin' on google search either.

RusselB #215943 17/10/09 02:48 AM
L
Babel fish
Babel fish
L
Originally Posted By: RusselB
To my knowledge, the only person that could legally put their name in front of mIRC, is Khaled, as he is the owner of the program.

Thus if someone named Dan tried to send out a program called "Dan's mIRC", I suspect that there maybe a copyright infringement battle possible.

Next, I personally know about 40 different people all named Dan that use mIRC, and there's probably a lot more, thus trying to identify a single person by the term "Dan's mIRC" is, at best, improbable.. at worst, impossible.

I think what he was talking about is someone's customization of mIRC. There are unfortunately some groups and people who make some custom changes of mIRC which would include heavy changes in the primary .ini files and graphical changes. StarChat IRC network used to release a customized mIRC distribution that included customized .ini files, custom servers file, and graphical changes for background and other related differences. I should add though the StarChat no longer offers the mIRC release with their changes. They only offer the inferior Pirch IRC client which they customized as well. I think they were also turned off by having to pay for some shareware.

Personally, and I'm obviously biased, mIRC is a better quality IRC client and justifies the small $20 that registers mIRC for your own personal use. I've actually paid it twice to further support the development of mIRC. Some may say it's a waste of money, but I've gotten a lot of good use out of the versions of mIRC that I've used over the many years I've used it.

Personally, I never liked any customized releases for obvious reasons. There's potential for dangerous changes to the files and custom scripts that could let mIRC be a method for people to harm people's computers. People don't realize how powerful and perhaps dangerous the scripting language is in mIRC. I have always used the official version releases linked from the mIRC website. From there, I make my own changes and enhancements that fit my needs and desires. I don't think people should release customized mIRC releases. However, I can respect that some people may like some changes that some well known scripters may do. However, it's something that should be looked into because of the danger that some pose to the inexperienced mIRC users.

Lloyd
Lloyd_B #215946 17/10/09 03:36 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I know of a number of scripters (beginners, intermediates, and experts), that publish their scripts on one or more websites, where people can access the code for the scripts, then install the script(s) into mIRC's remotes.

Most, if not all, of these sites contain a warning notice that the scripts are used at your own risk.

Lloyd_B #215955 17/10/09 04:06 PM
E
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
E
I'm an OPER on the StarChat network.
The reason we stopped offering our customized version or mIRC?
We were contacted by representatives if Khaled Mardem-Bey, and threatened with legal action if we persisted.

The ONLY legal way to distribute mIRC is via the mIRC web site.

We COULD still offer our Customized Script package, as long as it didn't contain the actual mIRC executables. We decided that separating the Script from our distribution would make installation confusing for IRC newbies... and decided to just drop the entire thing.

Emberato #215966 18/10/09 08:07 AM
L
Babel fish
Babel fish
L
Originally Posted By: Emberato
I'm an OPER on the StarChat network.
The reason we stopped offering our customized version or mIRC?
We were contacted by representatives if Khaled Mardem-Bey, and threatened with legal action if we persisted.

The ONLY legal way to distribute mIRC is via the mIRC web site.

We COULD still offer our Customized Script package, as long as it didn't contain the actual mIRC executables. We decided that separating the Script from our distribution would make installation confusing for IRC newbies... and decided to just drop the entire thing.

Emberato,

I'm glad you said something, I didn't know the facts behind the change. It's too bad they threatened StarChat with legal issues. I don't think there was any harm in what StarChat was doing. Of course, my comment was only based on what people were speculating without the facts. So, I apologize for my misinformed statement.

I still have people in my channel who enjoy the changes that StarChat made to the files. It makes it easy for a lot of people to connect to StarChat.

Lloyd
Lloyd_B #215999 20/10/09 01:19 AM
E
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
E
Lloyd_B

Please accept my apology, Appearently My Memory is not as good as it used to be.
StarChat was NOT treatened with legal action by ANYBODY affiliated with mIRC.

The Truth:
The Administrators of the StarChat network, Decided to Ask permission, from ALL the authors of the works we had been distrubuting, and We never got a reply from Kalhed. So, StarMIRC was removed untill permission could be obtaind.

The Good news?
Kalhed actually reads this board, and replied to my Statment here. It appears that the ball is now rolling, and if all goes well, we may soon have StarMIRC back up on our website.

Emberato #216024 21/10/09 07:05 AM
L
Babel fish
Babel fish
L
That's good news. I hope things get working soon.

He's going to get me info on group licensing, which I was going to use to help my ops in the channel I was helping to run. However, I resigned from the channel. So, it will be interesting information anyway to see what he says.

Lloyd

Link Copied to Clipboard