mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
H
HM2K Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
H
For whatever reason, when I open a fresh install of mIRC on this machine I get a strange issue with the font.

It doesn't appear like the normal Fixedsys font.

The only way I can define the normal Fixedsys font is by using the font dialogue box from the system menu.

This is never right...

I suspect this is actually a windows issue, but I can't be sure, neither do I know why it's doing this or how to fix it...

Screenshot: http://www.yoimg.com/h/142794211-mirc-fixedsys.jpg.html

Thanks.

-HM2K- hm2k.org
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
And you're positive you have no previous settings?

Your timestamp seems to indicate otherwise... That is not what a fresh copy of mIRC looks like (there is no seconds or am/pm in the default timestampfmt).

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
H
HM2K Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
H
Sometimes you have to assume that we're not all complete idiots. *grin*

I set that up directly in the mirc.ini manually by hand.

There's no previous font settings.

I'm also seeing this when I delete mirc.ini and it produces a fresh one and when I install a fresh copy of mIRC.

I can provide screenshots for that too if you feel it's needed.

-HM2K- hm2k.org
H
HM2K Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
H
I'm still having this bug.

Although I'm sure this is a windows bug, I need to know where mIRC is pulling the default font information from, so I can figure out where in Windows I need to be looking...

Further assistance on this would be greatly appreciated...

-HM2K- hm2k.org
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
On a fresh install of mIRC the default mIRC font is FixedSys. mIRC doesn't 'pull' the default font information from anywhere. If your FixedSys font is different than everyone else's FixedSys, then it will obviously display differently. If your installation of mIRC isn't actually fresh, then your font could be different than the default.

Download mIRC from the Download link above, then install mIRC to a new (never used before) folder (uncheck all the "maintain options" checkboxes in the installer), and then use notepad to create a blank mirc.ini file in that folder. That will ensure you have a completely unchanged mIRC when you first run the new installation.

-genius_at_work

H
HM2K Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
H
Originally Posted By: genius_at_work
Download mIRC from the Download link above, then install mIRC to a new (never used before) folder (uncheck all the "maintain options" checkboxes in the installer), and then use notepad to create a blank mirc.ini file in that folder. That will ensure you have a completely unchanged mIRC when you first run the new installation.

I tried this and it still didn't work. I still get this stupid font, until I actually define it...

Any further advice?

-HM2K- hm2k.org
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
If you open the Font dialog for the Status window, do you see the "FixedSys" "Regular" and "9" listbox items selected? Or do you have to manually select one or more of them to set the font?

H
HM2K Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
H
Yes:

http://www.yoimg.com/h/9436398-mirc-font-dialog.jpg.html

When I press "OK", the font will change, and it all looks normal again, it is saved to the mirc.ini like this:

[fonts]
fstatus=Fixedsys,412,0,0

But obviously the default font is still the wrong one.

-HM2K- hm2k.org
N
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
N
I've noticed a strange thing about this font. It appears to be 'Ms Gothic' font at the size 12. but in my copy of mIRC the distanve between rows is smaller... maybe due to my settings? don't remember setting anything, but my config has not been changed for years.. but it definitely looks like 'Ms Gothic'

H
HM2K Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
H
I can't work it out, i'm not seeing it anywhere else...

It appears fine in "cmd".

-HM2K- hm2k.org
H
HM2K Offline OP
Babel fish
OP Offline
Babel fish
H
I still have this problem with my fonts.

I believe it's a windows issue...

Can anyone tell me where mIRC gets the information for the fixedsys font or default font from windows?

-HM2K- hm2k.org
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
mIRC enumerates fonts in the same way that all applications do. I assume there's a standard WinAPI call for that. If mIRC is not displaying fixedsys when fixedsys is set, there's a good chance the font may be registered but the data on disk is corrupt. You should replace your fixedsys font. This has actually happened to me before.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"

Link Copied to Clipboard