mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#213443 27/06/09 11:10 PM
T
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
My irc channel has been hijacked by whom used to be a trusted sop.

I was the founder of the channel and only one other person had founder password. The sop has somehow registered the channel under his own username, changed the channel password and is refusing to step down until he has "done what he needs to do" to the channel.

Any advice on what to do, other than start a new channel?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Only to advise that the channel password be something that is more secure than what you used last time.

On some networks passwords are case sensitive, so this might help in making a more secure channel password.

You might be able to go to the #help channel and talk to an IRCop, but, speaking as an IRCop, you would probably have to provide significant proof that the person that took over did so without your authorization, which is going to be, at best, difficult to do.
I know that most IRCops wouldn't even bother with a request like that, as it is the owner's responsibility to ensure that the channel password is secure.

Sorry to put such a downer on an already bad situation, but I think you'd prefer for me to be honest from my own experience, rather than give you some unrealistic hopes.

T
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
T
All sorted now, thanks for the help, it was exactly what i needed! The guy in #help was very co-operative and helped brilliantly.

p.s
For the record, my password as 15 characters long, had several numbers and capital letters in, it was as secure as it could have been. The guy took control by lying to an IRCop who unwittingly believed his story. That same IRCop was very helpful later on though, so no hard feelings towards him.

Last edited by thunderkick127; 28/06/09 01:45 AM.
X
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
X
Originally Posted By: thunderkick127
My irc channel has been hijacked by whom used to be a trusted sop.

I was the founder of the channel and only one other person had founder password. The sop has somehow registered the channel under his own username, changed the channel password and is refusing to step down until he has "done what he needs to do" to the channel.

Any advice on what to do, other than start a new channel?

Wait it out. However, I do not recommend you trust that person again, no matter how many times he apologizes.

xgmx #213524 30/06/09 02:07 AM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
I suggest you read all, or at least the latest post in a topic, as the OP stated, in the post before yours, that the situation had been resolved.

Link Copied to Clipboard