mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
R
I have windows xp and the upgrades. I have installed 3 different versions of mIRC and each one has this same problem. Whenever I try to initiate a send, receive something or try a dcc chat I get the error message "mIRC has encountered a problem and needs to close" and then mIRC crashes. I have verified all the settings and made sure that dcc is enabled and followed all the other helpful hints on this site. I am not connected through a router; direct connect to modem. I have disabled my firewall and also tried allowing an exception for mIRC. I have completely deleted mIRC and wiped all instances of mIRC from my machine and installed a fresh install without saving any prior information. No one else seems to know why this happens and no one has seen this happen to anyone else before. Does anyone know why this is happening? What can I do to make it stop? Oh, I have also upgraded my drivers for my nic card, my modem, my display adapters and made sure that they were product specific drivers versus the windows generic drivers.
Thank you for your help!

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
1. In your latest version of mIRC type:

//echo -a $md5($mircexe,2) $version $os $script(0) $dll(0)

Report the results here.

2. Disable any Anti-Virus software you may have to confirm it's not the cause.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
R
OP Offline
R
Ok, I've disabled the antivirus and tried to dcc chat and mIRC still gives me the error message and closes.
When I typed what you asked me to, this came up: 0471108d25398e9f200fd7c580082a8e 6.16 XP 1 0
Thanks for helping me!

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Have you tried this with a recent version of mIRC? Click http://www.mirc.com/get.php to download the latest version, 6.35 and use that. 6.16 is over 5 years old, so I don't recommend using it.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
R
OP Offline
R
Oh yes, I've tried the latest version along with the one I've got loaded and also 6.21 and the one before 6.35. They all do the same thing. So, I'm thinking there is some kind of incompatibility with this machine and mIRC.

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Some specs regarding your machine might be useful. What OS are you running? Do you know if you're using a 64-bit CPU (or possibly a 16-bit one)?

R
OP Offline
R
I am using an AMD athlon 64bit x2 dual bit core processor 5200+
2.70Ghz 3.37GB ram
Windows xp service pack 3

I'm not sure what else you need, but hopefully this helps! smile
Thanks again!

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Old stuff now, but you could give my iphlpapi fix a try..

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
R
OP Offline
R
What does it do? Will it fix the issue that I am having with my mIRC? smile
Thanks!

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Sometimes it is not enough to disable the anti-virus since most anti-virus software continues to run in the background even if you try to close it down. It's quite possible that the anti-virus software you are using thinks that mIRC or the files you are downloading contain trojans/viruses and is deleting them, resulting in mIRC crashing because it's file access has been suddenly terminated. That's just a guess though.

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Originally Posted By: RebaRocks
What does it do? Will it fix the issue that I am having with my mIRC? smile
Thanks!

Possibly. So far, what you have mentioned matches exactly all the other cases in which this fix worked (down to the fact that you're using an AMD processor). There is a README text file in the zipfile I linked, which explains things a bit better. You could just give it a try, it's harmless otherwise.

Some of the older related threads: here, here, here, here. If you search for "iphlpapi" in the last 4 years in this forum, you'll find these and others.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
R
OP Offline
R
Much thanks for the "fix" it appears that it was somehow corrupted... That (iphlpapi something or other)file. There is a link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823256 to a site that explains entirely how to remove and reinstall the file. However, your fix is much quicker and I appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Oh, that's interesting.. Thanks for the link, I'm gonna save that one smile

Saturn, QuakeNet staff

Link Copied to Clipboard