Print Thread
#213024 14/06/09 10:58 PM
B
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
Hello folks,

First time here, I tried to search the forum relating to the problem that I am currently having but to no avail. But if by chance I made a mistake, I apologise for not checking further within the forum.

The problem:

I have lost complete sound capability in mIRC? It used to make a sound when connecting to an IRC server, private chat popup, chat activity,etc.

I checked the sound options showing a tick on enable sounds, but each sound for connect, disconnect, chat popup, etc, are showing no sound. If I press the button, the other choice is beep?

I can confirm my speakers and sound capability on my PC is working ok. I am using Vista64 Sp2. It was funny that I had Sp1 and after Sp2, my sound in mIRC is gone?

I discovered a hidden folder within Vista called Roaming/mIRC sound(not the exact full path)which is completely empty? I even tried to uninstall/reinstall mIRC but still no avail.

Anyone has ideas on how to restore sound to its original form?

Thank you.

Boaby

Last edited by Boaby123; 14/06/09 10:58 PM.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
try this : /sound on

Need Online mIRC help or an mIRC Scripting Freelancer? -> https://irc.chathub.org <-
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
The /sound command handles sound requests (same as having "accept sound requests" ticked). The sound-setting is handled with the /ebeeps command (same as having "enable sounds" ticked).

To the OP:
The button that currently shows "no sound" for each event has three states: 1) no sound 2) beep 3) <custom sound file>; thus a click on this button after the "beep"-state should open a popup where you can browse/select the associated sound file.
Having lost your sound settings, didn't you lose other settings as well? The sound event settings are stored in the mirc.ini file (section [waves]), together with virtually all your other mIRC settings.
Regarding the "roaming" folder: in Vista this is the default folder used by mIRC to store settings, and default subdirs for e.g. "downloads" and "sounds" will be created there as well. Are your "old" sound files located in another directory? If yes, is this directory a subdirectory of the folder containing the mirc.exe, and does the folder containing the mirc.exe contain a mirc.ini?
I'm asking these questions because: if mIRC finds a mirc.ini in the same folder as the mirc.exe, it will use this ini for it's settings, and the containing directory as "default" directory (and therefore look for sounds in it's "sounds" subdirectory). But if mIRC doesn't find a mirc.ini there, it will create a mirc.ini in "roaming" and take this dir as "default" (and therefore look for sounds in the "sound" subdir at roaming).

...hope I didn't cause too much confusion smile

B
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
B
I have managed to fix the sound issue.

I used a program uninstaller to completely remove mIRC from my operating system such as registery keys, hidden files,etc.

The sound is now doing its beeping sound while connecting to the IRC server.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions all.

Ta,

Boaby

Link Copied to Clipboard