mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
Hi There

I would like to run two seperate instances of mIRC. Complete with own directories for everything (logs, mirc.ini, scripts).

I read the instructions here: http://www.mirc.com/faq6.html#section6-25

and googled extensively..

however, I don't understand it entirely. XP has no Program Manager anymore (that works), and where is the 'startup line' 'under the icon' ??

I can rename the .ini and .exe files as directed, however I don't know how to direct mirc1.exe to use mirc1.ini and for mirc2.exe to use mirc2.ini.

OR If using the same mirc.exe in each case, I don't know how to direct one shortcut to use mirc1.ini and the other shortcut to use mirc2.ini.

I would love it if someone could walk me through this. I'm using XP Professional (local profiles) and mIRC 6.35.

I *could* use the inbuilt multiple server aspect of 6.35, but I change all login details and proxy details for the other servers. And doing that each time is a pain, and I don't know how to write a script for it... nor do I want one. I would like logs and notify list, and EVERYTHING to be clean and seperate.

ANY direction is much appreciated.

-SmileyFace smile

Last edited by SmileyFace; 11/06/09 07:43 AM.
S
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
S
!! grin !!

I have figured it out.

If anyone else was interested in also doing this, it's really quite simple.

If the mIRC.exe file is in the same directory as the mirc.ini and all other files, these are the ones it uses, rather than directing itself to the ..\application data\mIRC folder

Simply:

1) Make a folder for each instance of mIRC, anywhere you want.
2) Copy all ..\application data\mIRC data into it.
3) Copy all ..\program files\mIRC data into it.
4) Make a shortcut for the .exe from each folder and label appropriatly.

Done. Each shortcut will now access the appropriate .exe and run it using all the settings contained within that folder. Simple.

No need to rename .exe or .ini files.

I am so happy.

-SmileyFace grin

PS. By dropping everything into the one folder, you can also make your mIRC identity portable. Just save the folder to a USB or other writable removable device, and it will run neatly on another computer.

Last edited by SmileyFace; 11/06/09 09:00 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard