mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#210253 09/03/09 06:51 PM
I
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
I
When I connect to mirc it is now says Alison-PC which is my computer name and not picking up my host name. I have spoke with tech support on my router and tech support at my provider. They say it is mirc that is not picking up the host name correctly but picking up my pc name. How can this be fixed so I can dcc send? It should pick up CPE-65-28-18-154.kc.res.rr.com although I didn't post the correct ip address here.

Hope you are able to help

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
press ALT + O in mirc, go to Local Info below Options, try the settings there and see if it working for you..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
I
OP Offline
I
Hi,

I have tried that many times and it still picks up my pc name.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Using any firewall/anti virus? try connect when you have disabled it (if you have), then see if it's the same.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Other causes notwithstanding as long as the IP address is correct you will be able to DCC Send.

I
OP Offline
I
I am not running any firewalls. I have checked and my ip is correct. It just will not pick up the right host name when I login in to mirc it says Couldn't look up your hostname

I
OP Offline
I
I found out why it isn't finding the host name. I went to this site http://www.minip.no/ to lookup my ip number to make sure it is right. It gives you your ip number and host name. The problem is it gives the ip number as both the ip number and the host. That is why I am having problems doing dcc...just like it says it can't find my host name. Now do you have any idea what steps I take to get the host name to show up correctly instead of showing the ip number in both places?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

In mIRC type /localinfo -u

I
OP Offline
I
I already did that it didn't change it frown.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
from the help file ...
Quote:

Local Host
....snip....
If you leave this box empty then mIRC will try to get your local hostname by itself. However, if mIRC replies with the message Unable to get local host then you will have to fill in your local hostname manually. mIRC will then use whatever you have entered to get your IP address...
....snip....
Note: If changing the above switches still doesn't solve the problem, or you don't know what to enter for your local host or ip address, contact your internet provider or system administrator.

in other words, if mirc is unable to resolve your host, and minip.no is unable to resolve it, the problem is your isp, not your computer or any software on it.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Originally Posted By: itisme22
It gives you your ip number and host name. The problem is it gives the ip number as both the ip number and the host. That is why I am having problems doing dcc.

No it isn't. When you initiate a DCC send/chat mIRC sends your IP address and a port number to the other client, which then attempts to connect using that information. A hostname is not needed anywhere in the process. By trying to self-diagnose your problem you are in fact delaying its resolution.

I
OP Offline
I
No I am not delaying its resolution.
This is what it is saying when I dcc (I replaced my nick to post here as nickhere).

[23:17] <sweetbuns> [04:17] -nickhere (~nickhere@nickhere.users.undernet.org)- DCC Chat (98.156.52.61)
[23:17] <sweetbuns> [04:17] CTCP DCC: CHAT chat 1654404157 5007 from Mp3Server (~nickhere@nickhere.users.undernet.org)

ALERT: (nickhere!~mp3server@nickhere.users.undernet.org) sent a DCC request with bogus IP information of 98.156.52.61 port 5007. ~nickhere@nickhere.users.undernet.org does not resolve to 98.156.52.61!

My provider says that is my ip address and is correct. I have even seen this change to my router ip and it shouldn't do that at all.

So how am I delaying its resolution? It doesn't give my host name anywhere but my pc name. Even if I put the host in manually it still shows when you do /dns as my comuter name and the host and ip number won't resolve. What I was refuring to that you quoted was the ip website that checks your ip number and host name...it gives my host name as my ip number that isn't correct.

In mirc it says the dns does not resolve. I think the other answer is correct and my provider has to fix it's dns. Problem is they think it is mirc causing it because everything else works fine but mIRC.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You're still talking about your hostname despite being told twice that your hostname is irrelevant to DCC. You're wasting your time.

In all likelihood your router is causing your problem because you either didn't set up port-forwarding at all or did so incorrectly. There may be other causes, though, and eliminating them one by one an activity that is much easier on IRC where DCC can actually be tested. Join your network's IRC/mIRC help channel and ask there.

I
OP Offline
I
The router has been setup with the same ports for 2 years. I have been to the mirc help channel and was told it goes much deeper then anything they knew about.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

It doesn't resolve to your ip address because your actual host name is replaced by the network vhost (users.undernet.org) so of course it's not going to match. But as has been mentioned already, your actual host name is irrelevant when it comes to dcc, your correct ip is what counts.

Is it possible that Passive DCC was enabled by accident? Type /dcc passive off

Link Copied to Clipboard