mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
J
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
J
I know there are other threads about this, and I did look at them. But I didn't see any of them that had the same circumstances as I do, or any solutions that would be helpful.

Anyway, I JUST started getting this error today, and I've used mIRC for years now. It's happening all too often, and it's very frustrating.

What IS this error, and how can I fix it? It just happens are random (and often) while I'm logged onto mIRC. In other words, there's no specific circumstances it happens under.

The only thing I can think of that MAY have a connection, is that I reinstalled Norton Antivirus 2002 on my computer last night.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't really knwo the first thing about what to do, so any specific walkthrough of how to fix this will be even more appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I've seen mention about this being related to dial-up connections. Just for the record, I'm on cable, and no other programs that I run show any signs of there being a problem with my internet connection.

Last edited by Jamesman; 26/04/03 02:55 AM.
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
Thank you for having used the search feature here smile

As you saw, there just doesnt seem to be any one solution fits all, regardless of their connection type, and many are on cable or dsl. All we can suggest is trying what others have found works.
-disable xp firewall
-use a diff server port other than 6667
-try connecting to server ip rather than domain
-check router firmware/drivers
-in router, configure your TCP and ICMP aging in your Masqudaring options and set them higher than default.
-some have found relation to certain nic cards

Do i understand correctly that in your case it just started happening after you reinstalled norton?
What OS are you using? any router?

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
J
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
J
It just started happening today, and I reinstalled Norton last night. As for the options, I don't know how to disable XP's firewall, but everything else I've tried.

But now here's some more information that makes it even more confusing:

-It only appears to be happening on DalNet.
-Someone else got disconnected with the same error as I did, at the exact same time.

So now I'm beginning to think it's something on DalNet's end.

_
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
_
it very well could be a dalnet issue ... but u also should check ur XP firewall ..... to do this click

Start > All Programs > Acessories > Communications >Network connections ........

right click your connection , then choose properties > the menu that opens up has 3 tabs .. click on Advanced

in this menu your should have a checkbox in front of
"Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the internet"

if that box is checked your XP firewall is enabled ... if this was the case then that shoudl solve your problem ... if not then it may be just a dalnet thing

D3m0nnet.com
J
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
J
Unfortunately, it's unchecked. smirk

From the looks of it, it's a Dalnet-specific problem. Hopefully it'll blow over in a day or two, but it's still odd.

Thanks for the help. Any more insight will be appreciated.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
One person reported it as only happening on DALnet, but as i recall later said it was happening elsewhere. Unfortunately this is a common error, so it happening to someone else at the same time doesnt surprise me. Were you both on the same server and server port? and by any chance dccing to each other at the time? Did you try diff server and server port to connect? connecting to ip instead of domain? You tried a diff network and no probs? If so, then it could well be a DALnet related prob, altho im not sure what could do that.

As for how to disable xp's firewall, i cant help you there, since i dont use xp. hrm.. perhaps in start/control panel? i imagine it must tell you how someplace in windows help files.

It does seem suspicious that it just started happening after you reinstalled Norton. Did you check their website for any updates?

ok, here's what i would try. First find out how to disable xp's firewall and see if it stops. (close mIRC while you do that, then reopen and connect) If it doesnt, then we have to consider norton under your circumstances. Check their website for any and all updates. i truly hate to tell someone to disable virus scanner, but not sure how else to rule it out as the cause... other than closing mIRC, uninstall norton, reinstall, reboot. If you do disable it to test, just PLEASE dont download anything during that time and be careful! I;'d leave that as last resort to try tho

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet

Link Copied to Clipboard