mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
ok, a bit of backstory. when i first got mirc, i had version 6.2, everything was good in the land of irc. then i updated, cause i figured it was about time and i figured new features would be handy, so i updated to 6.34 which was the newest at that time. from then on, mirc has decided to crash on me with the standard windows error. upon seeking advice from a fellow irc user, i updated to 6.35. nope, problem still exists. so i uninstalled it after backing up scripts and whatever settings i could, and reinstalled it. low and behold, the problem still exists! so i come to you guys, i'd like this problem solved, as i've been unable to go in the #idle room i usually idle in, as the disconnects cost me more time than i gain. as time has gone on, the frequency of this problem has increased, if i remember correctly, it happened 3 times on the 13th.

that is a picture of the error message, i'm not sure what other information you need, but if you ask, i'll get what you need. please help, this is so seriously annoying frown

oh, and if this is in the wrong spot, please move it, it's not really a connection issue as i'm connecting to servers just fine and everything so i figured here was the best spot.

Last edited by evil_mumm_ra; 14/01/09 08:30 AM.
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Try installing a clean copy (no scripts or DLLs) of 6.35 as there may be script/dll compatibility issues. If it doesn't crash after that then you know it's one of the scripts.

E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
my scripts haven't changed since my v6.2

couldn't i just unload all the scripts instead and see if that helps?

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
Your problem is certainly a dll problem, if you try with a clean install, we're sure you don't forgot to unload something..

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

Originally Posted By: evil_mumm_ra

my scripts haven't changed since my v6.2

That's exactly my point. If your scripts haven't changed then there is a change between mIRC v6.2 and mIRC v6.35 that's causing the incompatibility issue(s) between mIRC and your scripts and DLLs. If this is the case then your scripts and DLLs would need to be updated to be compatible with mIRC v6.35.

E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
alright, i've unloaded all my scripts except my auto identify script, and one to count the number of lines in a channel. i figure both of those are basic enough that they aren't hurting anything, although if you suggest i unload those too, i'll unload everything.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Once you got mIRC not crashing, start loading the scripts one at a time until it crashes. Then you know what script it is.

E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
yup, that was my plan. although it'll take a while to test everything like that, i figure if it hasn't tested in 2 days i'm good. i've got a lurking suspiction it's the AMIP alias, although that is triggered by me, and it doesn't happen when i type /mp3 to show my songs, or /wma <command> to control the player. that's really the only script that has anything to do with any other program. so i'll start by readding those things in a few days. if it's not that, i'll add the others starting with my most complicated ones.

AHA. even with all my scripts unloaded, it still got the error message.

so what's the new advice?
i noticed the error more when i clicked lots of links, was kicked a lot, or other various loads of activity. but then it also seemed to happen when i was just idling too, like i'd wake up and it had errored during the night.

Last edited by evil_mumm_ra; 15/01/09 07:07 AM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Are you using a WMP or Winamp plugin that sends messages to mIRC or something (via DDE or SendMessage)? There is one known to have problems with mIRC 6.35

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
i am, although i removed the aliases to control it from mirc. i'll disable it on winamp though, i forgot to disable it there. i'll let you know if it happens again after disabling it. it's AMIP 2.63

also, would help to know which one you are talking about, so i don't direct other people to it as i've had a few people ask how i do it, and i'd rather not direct them to one that is faulty with mirc.

although, looking at the AMIP site, there is v2.65 up, but the fixed bugs don't say anything about it crashing mirc. i've disabled mine though, so we'll see if it still happens.

Last edited by evil_mumm_ra; 15/01/09 10:30 AM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I have no idea which version, but there have been reports of freezing mIRC's that have been solved by specifically disabling winamp & WMP plugins that spoke to mIRC. I assume the problems with the plugins have been corrected (and the latest version of the plugin should work with the latest mIRC) though you should probably contact the authors of the plugin for more information.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
alright, i'll look into it. it hasn't frozen since i disabled the plugin, but i haven't been doing anything on mirc but idling cause i was asleep. i'll contact the AMIP people tonight.

edit, it just happened with the AMIP plugin disabled. my scripts are still all unloaded too. so now i'm even more clueless as to what is the problem. anyone else have any guesses?

edit2, apparently my quit that time was "connection reset by peer" it used to be "broken pipe" when that happened. not sure when it changed, or why. but does that help at all?

Last edited by evil_mumm_ra; 16/01/09 04:36 AM.
S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
The "connection reset by peer" quit could be unrelated to your first problem.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
When you say "it", are you referring to mIRC crashing, or simply disconnecting?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
crashing. all i see is that error message, which then closes my mirc, so i can't tell if it counts as a broken pipe or if i was peered.

on a side note, i just got the error message and mirc closed again right before this post, and apparently the quit message was broken pipe.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Do you have any other plugins talking to mIRC? Is Winamp running at the time of the crash? The only thing I can suggest is to either close winamp completely, or a completely clean install of mIRC with all default settings to test-- there is no reason mIRC would crash randomly without outside influence; no reports of this exist.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
winamp is not always running when it crashes. when i go to sleep, i stop my winamp from playing music, so it wouldn't be sending anything to mirc, but i don't have it set to do it automatically either. there isn't anything else communicating to mirc.

so, if i'm gonna do a completely clean install, how do i back up all my settings and everything properly? i'd rather not have to input everything manually after testing with everything default.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Running and not playing are two separate things, if Winamp is running it could easily be communicating with mIRC even if it's not playing a song (though, granted, it's less likely).

You can copy your mIRC directory (type //run $mircdir in mIRC to see where it is) somewhere safe, but anytime you install mIRC it automatically performs a backup into the $mircdir\backup\ directory.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
oh, well that's nifty. i guess i'll do that tomorrow then.

i'll let you know how it goes!

E
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
E
alright, i downloaded a new mirc install, and am running that now. although, i have an mirc folder in c:program files/mirc, as well as c:documents and settings/my name/application data/mirc my new copy of mirc grabbed the data from the application data folder, whereas when i uninstalled mirc, it uninstalled it from the program files one, and that's where the new one was installed. seemed weird, but i'm thinking it's normal. so i'll be keeping an eye on it, the only things i did to the new install was copied my configuration settings, and an auto identify script. i'm hoping all will go well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard