Print Thread
#205313 19/10/08 08:23 PM
G
Gobby Offline OP
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
G
I get an IRC Flood trojan whenever I use mIRC. I deleted and reinstalled mIRC using the mIRC website download, and still get the trojan whenever I use mIRC.

My spyware program finds the trojan after every visit to mIRC and removes it each time, but it comes back when I go to mIRC again.

Any idea as to preventing the IRC trojan flood?

Thank you!

Gobby #205314 19/10/08 08:29 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
It's a false positive. You should send an email to the maker of your spyware program and ask them to investigate and update their definitions.

Also, you should always download a copy of mirc from where you really trust. Never get it from other unknown sources.

Tomao #205485 24/10/08 05:13 AM
G
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
G
What does this even do? when it gets quarantined nothing happens, is there any way to stop IRC flood from appearing?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
1) Ensure that your anti-virus definitions are completely up-to-date (even if the auto-updater (if your program has one), says they are, manually run the update)
2) If this doesn't resolve the problem, write to the company that issued your software and tell them that their anti-virus software is issuing false positives for IRC and mIRC
3) Check for an option to add an exclusion in your anti-virus program. There should be something, although exactly where and what it's named varies from program to program, and, sometimes, even version to version of the same program.
3a) If you can find this, add IRC and mIRC to the exclusion category.

H
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
H
Before I submit a letter of complaint for the Yahoo Toolbar, I just need to clarify something. I have recently installed your software on Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit and their Anti-Spy program has highlighted mIRC as the IRC Flood trojan.

The details on their awareness page about the trojan don't match, however; since it has been two months when this thread was last updated, I was wondering if you could check your software again? I was also wondering if you know of any compatability issues between your program and Vista?

I will be uninstalling mIRC again until this check has been completed - your software has been of great help to me in the past for online comms and it would be a shame if I cannot use it.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
There is no chance that the mIRC installer on mirc.com is infected with any virus trojan or anything of the sort. Now, however... Many programs will mark mIRC as such because they do not have a correct listing for the program and since it has been used to create and distribute such malicious code, programs will mark a clean installer as such. You can either try to get the makers of the program that marked mIRC as bad to update their definitions or you can just go on and use mIRC.

edit:
http://virusscan.jotti.org
Quote:

File: mirc635.exe
Status: OK(Note: file has been scanned before. Therefore, this file's scan results will not be stored in the database)
MD5: ce01307967773104627ec80e44e60e88
Packers detected: -
Scanner results Scan taken on 14 Jan 2009 14:30:18 (GMT)
A-Squared Found nothing
AntiVir Found nothing
ArcaVir Found nothing
Avast Found nothing
AVG Antivirus Found nothing
BitDefender Found nothing
ClamAV Found nothing
CPsecure Found nothing
Dr.Web Found nothing
F-Prot Antivirus Found nothing
F-Secure Anti-Virus Found nothing
G DATA Found nothing
Ikarus Found nothing
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Found nothing
NOD32 Found nothing
Norman Virus Control Found nothing
Panda Antivirus Found nothing
Sophos Antivirus Found nothing
VirusBuster Found nothing
VBA32 Found nothing

Last edited by MTec007; 14/01/09 02:35 PM.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Exactly what kind of check are you expecting? mIRC doesn't contain any viruses, if it did then more than two people and one crappy anti-malware company would have noticed.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
This is a false positive, if you search ether this forum or google, then you will see it's many over the years that reported this, and many of the virus scanners out there have fixed this problem, but still some of them report mirc as a irc flood trojan, nothing to be alarmed for smile so just keep on chatting smile but if you install scripts you downloaded from the net and then get a alert from your virus scanner, then it's in the script you downloaded, not from mirc it self.

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
sparta #208160 14/01/09 04:47 PM
H
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
H
Thanks for the heads-up...

I have since informed Yahoo Toolbar's Techsupp Dept. that their software is giving a false-positive, and they have assured me their definitions will be updated to remove the clerical error.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
I've had mIRC on Vista for almost a year now and don't really notice any issues. Dialog size and control size/coordinatesmay be affected. Meaning that a dialog madeon XP may not look the same on Vista.

Make sure mirc.ini is in your root folder or your path may point to your users\yourname\appdata folder. This isn't a bug, it is intentional.

Maybe these sites considered that some people use mIRC to flood with or hand out trojans. Which is silly since the actual mIRC.exe doesn't have any of this.

Link Copied to Clipboard