mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
L
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
L
When I go into a room, I can see in the left pane that I and others are in it. And when I type something, and hit 'enter', my text shows up in the main window. But I see no one else in the chat room texting. Surely if there are 14 others in a chat room, I'm going to see some one's text.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
A few possibilities.
1) You have put everyone on ignore.
1a) type /!ignore -r
2) You have a deaf mode on your account.
2a) type //mode -d $me
3) You have a script that is catching all of the text said in the channel (an ON TEXT event) that has a halt or haltdef line with that event.
3a) Type /!remote off
3b) See if that resolves the issue
3c) If it does, you'll have to go through your scripts, one at a time, to find the one that is causing the problem.

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks, Russell. I'll try these and see what happens.

L
OP Offline
L
Still doesn't work. I have two chat clients and neither work right. I can see people coming and going in a room, but can see no text. When I type, I can see it but don't know if they can. Everything seems to be fine until I try and communicate in a chat room. mIRC worked when I had dial-up. How would that make a difference?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Not only shouldn't it make a difference, I can't think of any possibility that would make a difference between dial-up and whatever it is you're using now.

If none of the suggestions I made helped, can you tell me if this is on all networks, or just one network?
If you don't know, try a different network and see if you have the same problem.

L
OP Offline
L
I bought this mIRC client a while back, but haven't been using it until this past week. It's been on my PC unused. I upgraded to the latest version yesterday. When you say networks, do you mean like IRCnet, Quakenet, etc. If so, .. yes. Once, I saw someone type! Surely, if you go into a chat room with 30 people on it and wait, your bound to see someone chatting, right. It's no big deal! I just thought I'd see whats going on. Evidently, I don't know what I'm doing!

_
Babel fish
Babel fish
_
Some networks have channel modes (subset to the network services) that only allow registered users to speak in the channel, let alone join, but my bet maybe the channels are muted by default or some funky channel/user mode prevents people from sending text for some reason. If there aren't issues with other networks, I'd have to conclude to that being the only possible problem after Russ's suggestions didn't help.

New provider, new host. Not identified with nickserv? Not registered to speak in certain channels with that host? I've seen it before.. all these new funky irc modes developers are inventing.

L
OP Offline
L
I'm beginning to believe that it's in my Norton 360 firewall settings!

L
OP Offline
L
I deleted Mirc! Don't need it if it don't work! You can delete my account also since I won't be needing it.

Last edited by Lovebeer; 27/11/08 07:20 PM.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
/me wonders if the channel was full of idlers/bots and there actually was no one at their computer. ... just a thought

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink

Link Copied to Clipboard