Print Thread
#204198 11/09/08 02:09 PM
J
Jitaki Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
J
I no longer want to have mIRC install any files/folders on my C: drive during installation. I dont want scripts, downloads, logs, or anything going anywhere other then into my mIRC folder. (Just like previous versions)

Recent format of C:, reinstalled XP - lost a lot.

I know, I should have backed it up if I wanted to keep it, but after years of doing this, for some reason, backing up mIRC which I had on E:, did not even cross my mind.

Just... put it all back into one main folder please =)

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
Copy the mIRC.ini file to the directory where mIRC.exe is. When you run mIRC, it will use that directory as a base instead of the roaming folder. You will have to move your script files accordingly.

-genius_at_work

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Call me old-fashioned, ignorant, a redneck, or whatever .. I am still using the same mirc folder (E:\mIRC\) that I used when I installed 5.7. When I download/install a new mirc, I let it install to the default directories, and COPY the files I need to my working folder, renaming the .exe to (for example) mirc634.exe and making a shortcut for that to use for running mirc.
This serves 3 purposes.

1. I get the update I wanted
2. I don't lose my previous executable in case some of my scripts break.
3. I don't have to hunt for (or worry about) my scripts (they're in E:\mIRC\myscripts\)

I've been told several times by several people that this is insane, but .. it works for me, and it's MY computer grin

PS this works in Vista, as well as XP and 2000

Last edited by CtrlAltDel; 11/09/08 03:05 PM.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R

I don't see anything insane about it at all.

A few days ago, someone here actually made a good suggestion of installing mIRC to the My Documents folder. Create a folder inside of My Documents and name it mIRC (or whatever name you want), then create a txt file inside this new folder and name it mirc.ini and then install mIRC to this location. During installation, mIRC will find the new mirc.ini file and use this new folder for settings and storage instead of AppData. The OP could do the same on E: by creating a folder named E:\mIRC and then create a new txt file and name it E:\mIRC\mirc.ini and then install mIRC to this location.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Maybe have a option in the next relese? then make the user choose where they want the logs/downloads/script to be stored? Since it's just a mather of copy the mirc.ini file to the install folder, then it shouldent be that hard to solve? i too had a bit of problem with the "new" path, but copyed the ini file to my install folder so now everything are back to normal smile

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
R
RRX Offline
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
R
Originally Posted By: CtrlAltDel
Call me old-fashioned, ignorant, a redneck, or whatever .. I am still using the same mirc folder (E:\mIRC\) that I used when I installed 5.7. When I download/install a new mirc, I let it install to the default directories, and COPY the files I need to my working folder, renaming the .exe to (for example) mirc634.exe and making a shortcut for that to use for running mirc.
This serves 3 purposes.

1. I get the update I wanted
2. I don't lose my previous executable in case some of my scripts break.
3. I don't have to hunt for (or worry about) my scripts (they're in E:\mIRC\myscripts\)

I've been told several times by several people that this is insane, but .. it works for me, and it's MY computer grin

PS this works in Vista, as well as XP and 2000

That's exactly how I do it too, including the mirc634.exe-naming.

Link Copied to Clipboard