mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#203869 30/08/08 06:38 PM
F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
I keep getting a message within my active window when I try to access the nick list menu in a channel saying:

* Break: command halted

I had it with my old version of mIRC and now after updating the same thing is happening with v6.34.

What is wrong with the scripts?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Probably nothing. The most common problem that causes this, is that the Pause/Break key on your keyboard has gotten stuck.
Try hitting it a few times and see if it pops-up, and also give your keyboard a good cleaning. Something might've gotten into your keyboard which is causing the connection to be made, even if the key isn't down.

P.S.: This message has been reported many times before, and usage of the Search function would've brought up at least a few of those posts.

F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
No it did not pop up surprisingly.... It also didn't help... I would tear it apart and put it back together but I like my keyboard the way it is

F
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
F
Okay anyone else have any suggestions to what is wrong with my system. I know it's not the keyboard as previously mentioned. If there are other threads that have been put up about this a link would be most helpful in that case, or a clear response.

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I've already seen this happen randomly, but in my case it was the keyboard (I think), like if the keys control + pause was held down (as said).Try using a clean mirc and see if it happen again, try rebooting too

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
your clear response was given to you in your first reply. the main cause of random break errors is due to the ctrl-break or ctrl-pause key getting stuck. You have to press them a few times. I've solved this issue myself with this method in the past, and I've never been unable to solve it using this method, nor have I ever seen this happen unintentionally without the stuck keys being the cause, so I'd bet this is your problem too.

If that doesn't work, reinstall mIRC, as suggested.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
argv0 #214430 04/08/09 09:23 AM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
That might make sense, if the problem went away by unplugging the keyboard that is affecting the script in question, or if the script was in a loop to begin with. What about when a user right-clicks, and the menu popup fails to load completely, giving the message "command halted"?

I think this may be some sort of cryptic "insufficient resources" error.

s00p #214431 04/08/09 09:47 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
How about the obvious: a (faulty) script in the Popups section using the /break command

5618 #214714 13/08/09 03:38 PM
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
How about no? How about the obvious? Not all newbie scripters have the cognitive capability to find a new village. Think: can you REPRODUCE the problem by inserting a break into the popups section? I sure couldn't. How is the popups section even relevant when ALL remotes, aliases and popups are affected?

You can reproduce this "faulty script in popups using break" (which by the way, won't ever produce that message) by the following steps:

1. Type /timerTESTLOOP 0 0 var %x = 0 | while (%x < 100) { inc %x }
This is merely just to emulate the affect of a short loop that is called constantly.

2. Press, and hold, CTRL. Wait a second, then press, and hold, PAUSE/BREAK. Wait a second, then press, and hold SCROLL LOCK. If you aren't getting "Break" errors 3 or 4 times a second by now, release the keys, and switch windows, then try again.

3. Type any non-internal/remote/alias command, for example /j. Open any popup that is scripted. Etc, etc.

How to stop it? Hold CTRL, and tap PAUSE/BREAK repeatedly.

Yes, turns out it is something similar to "keys being stuck". More like a software emulation of a stuck key. I don't think this is a bug. It can come in handy, having a repetitious break function. It's just not known about (as you can see, there are no solutions on the mIRC forum for this activity). I've run into it myself, and usually after pressing CTRL+PAUSE/BREAK, so after thinking of everything possible to try to break scripts in this manner, particularly loops (as I remembered), I stumbled across this by accident.

I hope you guys enjoy this rather ignorantly hidden feature as much as I recently have smile Enjoy!

edit: to turn the timer off, /timerTESTLOOP off

Last edited by s00p; 13/08/09 03:40 PM.
s00p #214717 13/08/09 04:23 PM
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Did you just disagree with me and then post a follow up which agreed with me?

The issue is indeed related to ctrl+break keys getting stuck (physically or virtually). This was mentioned multiple times already.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
s00p #214723 13/08/09 10:00 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
If you get a break message when opening a popup menu, check your $submenu code.

Id also suggest you stop attacking everyone who has a suggestion if you want people to help you.

Good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard