mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
Fincan Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
F
I'm using version 6.32, and find something irritating. It seems like the channel names in their bar are shown in the way they were created, that is, most often in lowercase. Why is this so? Shouldn't mIRC display them in the form I typed them in, when I joined the channels? Like, if there were a channel called #pepsimax, and I write /join #PepsiMAX, it ought to appear so on my screen, with the capital letters. Or am I missing something here?

W
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
W
I think mirc just use what the server sent...

Use a /debug @win in order to check what the server is sending in "JOIN" and compare with what you've typed/used.

Last edited by Wims; 26/08/08 12:18 PM.

#mircscripting @ irc.swiftirc.net == the best mIRC help channel
G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
It seems more logical that mIRC should display whatever the channel creator typed, since it is their channel. They probably don't care how you think their channel name should be capitalized. If you had created the channel, you would have typed the capitals the way that you prefer, and everyone else would have to live with it.

-genius_at_work

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I'm not exactly sure if that's more logical. The more functional setup would be to use the channel name as typed in at /join, that way you can decide to display it the way the creator did should you choose, or you can decide to display it the way you want if you don't like the casing. That gives you more power, and its generally more logical to allow for more functionality rather than less.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
F
Fincan Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you for your input, everyone. I'm with argv0 here, mIRC really should display the names as the user typed them in. And it DID, in previous version. Perhaps still does, in certain cases? I haven't had the chance to test this yet, but when the server I connect to (on IRCnet) is in splitmode, mIRC shows the channel names as I like them. However, if (and this is rare, heh) the server is working "properly", it seems to use the original channel names, which are almost always in lowercase - and that I hate.

Isn't there a way to fix this? Or am I forced to just wait for the next split, and reconnect before the split ends, testing my theory...

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
The certain cases where it would work would be when the *server* sends the JOIN command for the channel the way you typed it. Some servers do that.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
F
Fincan Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hmm, this is getting a bit too technical for me... what does it mean, "server sending joins"? In the past, I've never had to worry about this problem; mIRC always showed the channel names the way I had typed them in. I only use two servers, mostly one actually, so I'd imagine the server used had nothing to do with this. I might be wrong, but it seems unlikely, since the ircd's haven't changed, only my mIRC. Until a month ago I was using a really old version, and even with this newer version I've only now stumbled upon this issue. So... I dunno? I'm baffled and this really bugs me.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I'm not saying that your server changed its behaviour. On the contrary, I was referring to the certain cases where the old behaviour would continue to work in the *new* mIRC... and that's when the server sends the channel name to mIRC the way you typed it in the /join. Some servers do this, most don't.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC

Link Copied to Clipboard