Print Thread
#200655 09/06/08 08:41 AM
A
AshTR Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
A
For some reason out of the blue when I'm minimizing mIRC 6.3x to the tray, it sticks there constantly until I close it.

Even though I have "Always show mIRC icon in tray" off.

I even tried turning the "Place mIRC in tray when minimized" on and off and changing the tray icon between something else and back to the default but that doesn't help it. I've got to close mIRC and restart everytime.

The thing that I don't get is that it's responsive via double-click and right-click but mIRC itself can't do anything with it.

EDIT: Screenshot example: http://i25.tinypic.com/2pr5xco.png

Last edited by AshTR; 09/06/08 08:51 AM.
A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
I can't reproduce this. Have you clicked okay on the main options window to set the change and it's still there? When you restart mIRC, is it also still there?

Are you running any scripts?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
A
AshTR Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
A
As you can clearly see in the picture, that's the options it's on even when I've hit OK and gone back to mIRC.

I am running scripts but it does this even without running those.

Restarting mIRC works but it's frustrating when I have to restart and reconnect to all my networks just because of this.

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
The picture does not "clearly" show that those are the settings just after loading the dialog, which is why I asked.

How many times does this happen/ how many times do you have to restart mIRC to correct this? If you restart mIRC, I assume it starts with no icon in the tray (this is your current solution after all)-- so at what point in time does it show up in the tray again? Can you pinpoint this time to a specific event (minimizing the window, etc.)?

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
A
AshTR Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
A
Originally Posted By: argv0
The picture does not "clearly" show that those are the settings just after loading the dialog, which is why I asked.

How many times does this happen/ how many times do you have to restart mIRC to correct this? If you restart mIRC, I assume it starts with no icon in the tray (this is your current solution after all)-- so at what point in time does it show up in the tray again? Can you pinpoint this time to a specific event (minimizing the window, etc.)?

I can't pinpoint it. It just happens randomly (Seems to happen at least once every 2 weeks at least though.) for some reason when I'm minimizing it and it goes to the tray.
Also, yes. When I restart the icon is gone.

Last edited by AshTR; 10/06/08 05:57 AM.
A
AshTR Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
A
Really really sorry for the necropost but I figured out how to reproduce it.

Sometimes mIRC goes to the tray and mIRC is still for a split-second up to keep clicking minimize. If you click it again at the right time while it's going to the tray, then mIRC will leave the icon in the tray stuck there but working.

mIRC will also minimize to the taskbar.

This also happens if you double-click the tray icon and then minimize very quickly before the tray icon disappears from the tray.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
If you're restoring/minimizing mIRC that quickly, and it happens to leave the icon in the tray, it sounds to me like you're trying to find little inconsistencies.

Further, this sounds a lot like a bug report that was made a few years back, (I'm currently unable to find the post), but it seems to me Khaled was unable to reproduce the situation with regularity.

A
AshTR Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
A
It'll mainly happen when my computer starts to slow down because I'm running something that's using most of my computer's resources, it'll slow mIRC down when minimizing or maximizing and do this.

So no, I'm not purposely doing this. This is a regular use thing for me.

I don't have a fancy dual-core machine like everyone else.

EDIT: Would be nice if there was just a simple way to refresh the tray icon in the options or something.

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
While I do have a fancy dual-core system, I tried to replicate what you were describing on every system that I have, the slowest of which is a PII-233 with 128M RAM, and even on that system I was unable to duplicate it. The fact that this happens when you are running one or more other programs that require a lot of resources is not mIRC's fault. If you have to run those programs at that time, get a system with more resources (faster processor, more RAM, bigger swap file on your hard drive, compress and/or defrag your hard drive)

These are simply suggestions as to methods that might make enough of a difference that the problem doesn't occur, as this seems to be more of a system/windows resource problem than a mIRC problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard